Wild berries

KeikoOka

I love wild berries but think it is really important to only eat a berry that you know what it is. Generally I avoid most red berries because i take red as meaning stop. Do you eat wild berries while you hike?

campclose

I only eat the ones that I know what they are. There are too many poisonous berries out there and I don't want to eat them. I always tell the kids those berries are for the birds and not us.

Michael

My area has blackberries, blueberries, and black and red raspberries. If you're very lucky, you can find strawberries as well. You had better believe that I pig out on these whenever I can.

Wild berries are so much tastier than the ones in the market, and I appreciate them so much more when I work up a hunger hiking and then pick them myself. It's a very satisfying experience.

jason

fear no beer
Up in NY we used to find blue berries and black berries all the time. Once in a while we would come across strawberries, although I knew where a small strawberry patch grew every year and would visit often. Sometimes my mother would send us out for them which was a fun way to spend the day.

Grady

We have tons of blackberries around here so I eat those when I see them. Other than that, if I'm not entirely sure what it is, I stay away.

NaturallyYours

Fortunately, berries generally aren't too difficult to identify, in my experience. Mushrooms are what scare me - I went out foraging for them with a friend's family a couple years back and had the hardest time telling one cluster from the next.

Jimbo

The only wild berries I'll eat is of the blue and black variety. Those are the only one's I know for sure are good to eat.

peanut

I am not a big berry eater. I like raspberries but you don't find those in the wild very often in the areas I camp and hike. I don't like the seeds getting stuck in my teeth.