Wildlife?

campclose

Last camping trip we went on was to Old Forge. It was gorgeous up in the mountains. It was very peaceful and pretty.

I’ve been camping many times and have never seen this. I also live in the country and see wildlife all the time. When I got up early one morning and most campers were sleeping, 2 deer came right up to the campsites. The lady next to our campsite was feeding the deer crackers right out of her hand. She was feeding them with 1 hand and snapping pictures with the other hand. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Ever see anyone close enough to do this?

campernewbie

I have only had this happen I think once and we were lucky since when I was a teen we camped out in a park that was close to an area (somewhere on a scenic route) that had hand feed deer (all were tame, even the males).

2coastcamper

She shouldn't do that. It will teach the deer (those particular ones) to be dependent on humans for food. It will also deteriorate their natural fear of humans.

From an article at ocean-beach.com:
Perhaps the most harmful human habit that affects this neighborly relationship is the act of feeding deer. Most people who feed deer do so out of a misplaced love for the animals, but in fact feeding creates a synthetic system that affects deer numbers, behavior, and dispersal.

Feeding deer disrupts natural systems by changing deer behavior, population, and dispersal. Deer accustomed to being fed lose their wariness of human beings.

Feeding deer is even illegal in some state. Virginia is one where I know this to be true.

Virginia institutes regulation making it illegal to feed deer - Kingsport Times-News Online

campgirl

Wow, it's illegal to feed the wildlife? I wouldn't think of feeding any bear but why not deer. Especially if they are tame (like these one sound).

I have never seen anything like it. We have a lot of deer around our house and I see them when camping, but never close enough to feed.

Ava

Well living in Australia - we get a few different animals than bears and deer! Usually when I go camping we wake up to the noise of Kookabura's and Magpie's. We have a lot of feral foxes and rabbits out here that destroy the natural wildlife. I love watching the Kangaroo's graze and if you're lucky might find a Koala eating gum leaves in the trees.