Winter Camping

Stanley

I live in the great white north. That is Canada to anyone unfamiliar with that phrase. We love to go winter camping. That does not mean with a motor home, it means tent camping in Algonquin Park. It can be very dangerous if you are not correctly prepared, but the clear blue sky and the wonderful color of the snow is just so magical. We love to go snowshoeing too. Then you get to see all the tracks of all the little animals. Luckily the Bears are usually asleep in their dens so you don't run into to many scary animals. Wolves can be a problem, but you must provide for that, and have a 4x4 to get out of the area quickly if necessary.

MountainMan22

I would only go camping in winter type temperatures if I had a camper. I wouldn't do it in a tent. And also, there has to be a portable heater that does a good job heating up the camper. I'd also need sunglasses for the glare from the sun when it hits the snow just right.

ejdixon

I've read quite a number of articles on tent winter camping. I admire their ability to be able to survive and enjoy even despite the harsh weather conditions. But right now, I'd probably do that with a camper or trailer.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I love winter camping. No bugs. The only thing I don't like about it, is that it gets dark at 5. After I make dinner then all there is to do is crawl in the sleeping bag and read. I'm usually sound asleep by 7 o'clock.

Mountain Man

Not for me anymore. Today, we have a toy hauler and I like the fact that I can be warm and comfortable after a day spent outside. I do remember those days though and I do kind of miss it - but not enough to give up my toy hauler.

ppine

Forester
Briansnat,

That is why God created fire. So you don't have to go to sleep at 1700.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

it means tent camping in Algonquin Park. It can be very dangerous if you are not correctly prepared, but the clear blue sky and the wonderful color of the snow is just so magical. We love to go snowshoeing too. Then you get to see all the tracks of all the little animals. Luckily the Bears are usually asleep in their dens so you don't run into to many scary animals. Wolves can be a problem, but you must provide for that, and have a 4x4 to get out of the area quickly if necessary.[/QUOTE]

Where in Canada is that Park located?

HikerJoe

On great thing about camping in the winter is that you don't need to bring a cooler and ice for your brewskies.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Briansnat,

That is why Goid created fire. So you don't have to go to sleep at 1700.
True, but it's kind of hard finding enough firewood under a foot or two of snow to keep you entertained for a few hours. And when its 10 degrees out you need a good sized fire to provide any level of warmth.

marquejohn

Camping

Snowshoeing and fishing is my favorite activities on winter. I never miss the Camping chance specially on winter time.

ppine

Forester
Briansnat,

Finding firewood is no big deal in winter. In the western mountains, there is often 6 or 10, or 12 feet of snow on the ground which just makes it easier to get to the standing deadwood. For cold temperature, say below 10 degrees F one needs a reflector fire and a lean-to. The standard routine for hundreds of years of winter camping was the fire situaition described above. Even at temperatures below zero, people camped with only a few wool blankets.

The modern backcountry ethos of using little stoves, and no campfires is problematic in winter. People have forgotten the old ways to a large extent. That is why I love to read the early oudoor authors that had some great ideas.

Last edited:

briansnat

Platnium Member
Briansnat,

Finding firewood is no big deal in winter. In the western mountains, there is often 6 or 10, or 12 feet of snow on the ground which just makes it easier to get to the standing deadwood. For cold temperature, say below 10 degrees F one needs a reflector fire and a lean-to. The standard routine for hundreds of years of winter camping was the fire situaition described above. Even at temperatures below zero, people camped with only a few wool blankets.

The modern backcountry ethos of using little stoves, and no campfires is problematic in winter. People have forgotten the old ways to a large extent. That is why I love to read the early oudoor authors that had some great ideas.
Maybe if I camped in the west with 12 feet of snow finding firewood would be easy. It's not so easy in the northeast. The only standing deadwood available is usually hemlock/spruce/pine and you need to gather a tons of that stuff because it burns so fast.

Johnnytarr

I live in the mid west, and I hate the cold. Every year I say "I'm starting in doors this winter", but I always end up going out. When I do, I never take a tent. A lean to, or tarp shelter and a long fire will keep me toasty warm. For really cold nights I use a reflective blanket on the back portion of my shelter to help up the temp. I've never had a problem finding fire wood, dead wood is almost always plentiful, and if not, a little looking will usually turn up some dead branches that can easily be pulled down. And of course, winter camping helps keep those beers cold. :)

Pathfinder1

Briansnat,

Hi...

Well put, ppine.

marquejohn

I love winter camping

I do my winter camping in USA. Hikes and fishing is my favorite activities and I never miss the Camping chance specially on winter time.

ppine

Forester
Briansnat,

I have built some very hot fires with nothing but sagebrush. Building a fire in any forest is not that hard if you mean it. The one exception might be in formal campgrounds where the available wood is picked clean.

The Northeast has some remarkable wood for fires, like yellow birch that burns when wet, and plenty of hardwoods that burn for a long time.

Grandpa

Briansnat,

I have built some very hot fires with nothing but sagebrush. Building a fire in any forest is not that hard if you mean it. The one exception might be in formal campgrounds where the available wood is picked clean.

The Northeast has some remarkable wood for fires, like yellow birch that burns when wet, and plenty of hardwoods that burn for a long time.
Yep, sage brush and juniper are the woods of choice for building a good hot branding fire. Every spring, Dad had us boys chopping sage out of the fencelines to be hauled in for the branding fire.

erinc500

I rarely do winter camping (living in Seattle). It's not really the cold that bothers me but the rain. Does anyone have any suggestions other than using a camper/vehicle?