Woman shot by cop..."mistakes" her for deer.

wvbreamfisherman

It took me a while do dig out the story, but i think he ought to permanently lose his hunting license as a minimum, and his employer should make a determination on the record as to his fitness to carry a gun in the performance of his duties. Of course the latter thing won't happen. If he had been a civilian, I'm pretty sure he would never be able to own a firearm in Massachusetts again.

He was obviously negligent in that he didn't positively identify his target before shooting. I will give him props for actually doing his best to help the victim rather then slinking off someplace to make an anonymous call.

Bad situation caused by carelessness.

calanta

That is horrible to think about. We walk our dogs at night all of the time but what fool hunts that late in the day around places he knows that people may frequent? Even better he is a cop, he should totally know better.

Pathfinder1

It took me a while do dig out the story, but i think he ought to permanently lose his hunting license as a minimum, and his employer should make a determination on the record as to his fitness to carry a gun in the performance of his duties. Of course the latter thing won't happen. If he had been a civilian, I'm pretty sure he would never be able to own a firearm in Massachusetts again.

He was obviously negligent in that he didn't positively identify his target before shooting. I will give him props for actually doing his best to help the victim rather then slinking off someplace to make an anonymous call.

Bad situation caused by carelessness.

Hi...

It would be most interesting if this story could be followed up periodically.

Grandpa

I've never hunted in Massachusetts, but here in WA deer hunting after dark is called poaching...

Parker
1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise is poaching in Idaho as well. And if poaching a 4x4 buck, trophy class, is a felony, a human should be involuntary manslaughter at the least.

It is sad that our police and other law enforcement people are under so much stress lately (Ranger in Ranier NP) but it is also sad that I am seeing more and more "shoot first and ask questions later" from officers.

John Capano: Off-duty ATF officer shot dead trying to stop a robbery | Mail Online

This is not isolated either. Recently in SLC a shooting resulted in officers firing some 50 plus times taking down a perp in a residential neighborhood.
I can see them firing if they have a target but 49 misses? In a residential neighborhood? I don't think that is responsible law enforcement.

Ready

Just to clarify, the shooting took place shortly before 5:00 PM, Sunset was at 4:21 PM that night. So he was likely right at the cut off time, which might explain his haste. He saw the dog's white tail and mistook it for a deer which was obviously a stupid, reckless move.

Personally, I wouldn't venture on a path through the woods during hunting season without an orange vest on.

Bella Rae

This is horrible, and it seems like a lot of the times, a cops crime is looked over. Nothing against cops, because I respect that job, but this accident could have been avoided. I am always paranoid when I hear random gunshots near my house. Who knows where a stray bullet could end up!

Pathfinder1

Hi...

New York State might have handled the matter differently (just a guess).

Yesterday, January 03, a drunk New York State Trooper...out of uniform (per recordonline.com)...while walking home from a bar...kicked in the door of a home a block away from his...and assualted the homeowner.

He was immediately suspended.

The report stated that even his attorney said he was too drunk to know what he was doing...!! He also faces crimnal charges.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Daddy taught me this rule: Always be certain of your target.

A deer hunter, riding the edge of legality, shoots at a target in poor light while "guessing" at its' identity and hits a human being. This hunter just happens to be a law enforcement officer. I'd like to know more about this incident before passing judgment. But, I'd say this was a reckless act and should be dealt with accordingly.

wvbreamfisherman

It was reckless and negligent no matter who did it. As a cop, he should be held to a somewhat higher standard as he is "presumed" to know how to handle a weapon properly.

ChadTower

This is very very close to my house. I follow these stories in our area because there are so many hunters here that are untrained idiots who shoot at anything that breaks a twig. I might be able to fill in some details.

1) It was the final day of the hunting season.
2) It was a half hour past dusk which puts it at or past hunting hours.
3) In MA the final week is for black powder/muzzle loaders only.
4) This woman was shot on her own land.
5) The hunter is a state police officer.
6) The hunter called 911 himself and provided first aid to the best of his ability.
7) The woman is in fair condition in a RI hospital.

Those are all facts. If anyone has any questions as to opinions I'll be glad to try to answer them.

Grandpa

Thanks Chad. This sheds more light on the story than the article I read. Please keep us posted how this turns out. Prayers are with the victim.

Was he using a black powder?

MountainMan22

By the points that Chad makes, it sounds like he definitely broke the law. I'm not sure if a severe punishment should be given for it, but I don't like this kind of story at all. It gives fuel to the people that believe citizens shouldn't have guns because they aren't responsible with them. If I ever go hunting, I wouldn't shoot something unless I knew what I was shooting at. Poor lady.

catspa

MM22: It gives fuel to the people that believe cops shouldn't have guns because they aren't responsible with them.

Fixed that for you.

Most of the officers I know personally seem pretty level-headed and responsible, but it is disappointing to hear of one who isn't.

Parker

ChadTower

Sorry, left that fact out. He was using a muzzle loader.

The State Police are already saying he broke no laws. His weapons were licensed, his hunting license was valid, and he was not hunting outside of allowed hours. They are also saying that no internal discipline will occur.

It is notable here that these statements were made 2 days after the incident. An editorial in the local paper said the other day that there have been a couple dozen accidental shootings by hunters across the US in the last couple of years and not one of the investigations was closed anything like this quickly.

I have not seen any mention about permission to hunt on that woman's land. If he did not have permission that would be breaking the law in MA.

Now, on to my own opinions. There are some very upset people here in regard to the State Police investigation. I am not happy about it. He completely failed to identify his target or the area behind it. That is a serious gun safety failure. I assume the man carries a service weapon as part of his daily job. If he is not trained enough to know something that basic then I not only worry about his fitness to carry a weapon but also the other State Police who do as well. If he was so trained, and yet still cannot understand, then he personally is not fit to carry a firearm and should be removed from that aspect of State Police duty. I am not the only one in this area that feels that way and the sentiment is growing as it becomes clear there will be no discipline by the State Police.

Nondisciplined and unsafe hunters are a problem around here. We are the first surburban area south of Boston to have enough forest to support deer. Newbie hunters, and old guys who just don't know what they're doing, roaming around the woods with rifles is a real problem. I've run into guys wandering around near dusk, hurried, not even knowing where they are, trying to figure out where to set up unaware that they are on private conservation land or even on the grounds of a convent. They haven't scoped out their area ahead of time, they haven't figure out who owns it, they don't have permission, and they don't even know these things should have been done a month before deer season.

It's not a whole lot better during duck/goose or turkey season. We have turkeys all over the place and I fear one day someone is going to get blasted short range by some idiot hiding in a bush.

ppine

Forester
Police are notorious for being unsafe with guns. Maybe we don't pay them enough. The guy in question should at least be fined and given a desk job. If he gets off with his crime, ask more questions about the group he works for.

At our local police range, the roof is full of bullet holes. Maybe cops should only be allowed to carry guns with multiple safeties. This is a common problem compounded by incredibly poor judgement.

If the above description is true, that woman should sue the hell out of the police. She is being left with no other recourse.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Roommate at college decided lower campus was too hard so transfered to the voc ed upper campus cop shop. Otherwise I wouldn't have heard about this one. Seems 4 rookie cops went deer hunting. After a day of wandering around the mountains, all 4 jumped into the pickup truck (yes, on one seat) rifles in a bunch held by one 2nd from window passenger side. Driving down the highway, gun holder squirmed and one of the rifles went off. Bullet passed right between two guys shoulders blowing the padding out of one guys jacket sleeve, but neither even got powder burns. I guess God does take care of idiots, its the rest of us I worry about giving these guys guns.