Worst Poison Ivy?

claire

I have a friend and while we were camping she used poison ivy to wipe herself! It is kinda funny, but I also feel terrible for her! Is there anything anyone suggests that would be helpful?

2coastcamper

I think we could also take this thread as an opportunity to share our worst poison ivy-related stories. I'll get it started. One's mine, and another is a buddy of mine (his is worse).

Mine:
So, I had just moved to this new town (obviously, a new house, too). My dog found a nice place in the shade in this thick bush. Well, what we only found out much later was that there was a massive patch of poison ivy in that bush. Well, my dog rolled around on it, and got the oils on her coat. Then I petted the dog, and then transfered the oil to my hands, neck and some of my face. There was a PI outbreak in the exact shape of a hand on my neck! That next week, I went on a church trip with all the other kids in town with this massive breakout on my neck and face. Lame!

By buddy's (shorter, but way worse):
His was just on a hike through the woods. Well, we went wee-wee on a tree that was covered in PI. Well, there was a certain amount of splash-back, and he got a breakout out on his crotch area. I never saw it, but his mother said she was horrified!

amanda

I had poison ivy all over my arms recently-- I was working in the backyard and got it all over! It wouldn't go away and I ended up needing to get an anti-steroid shot. She could try that, maybe?

Topaz

I've seen a friend awhile back come across poison oak in his own backyard, nasty stuff that lasted for a few weeks.

failghe

I remember reading somewhere that you could use baking soda and water as a cooling wash. Not sure if it truly works though.
I have never had an outbreak to poison ivy, very lucky I guess considering all my years out in the woods.

2coastcamper

I remember reading somewhere that you could use baking soda and water as a cooling wash. Not sure if it truly works though.
I have never had an outbreak to poison ivy, very lucky I guess considering all my years out in the woods.
Ah! Either you're so lucky, or just not allergic to it. I've known a scant few people that could roll around in the stuff and not break out. Me, I'm not one of those people.

failghe

Well I must not be allergic to it because I am not very lucky. However I really don't want to roll around in it to see if I get a reaction. I definitely would get a reaction to someone watching though. :)

Lightfoot

I was mountain biking once when I hit a rut in the path a fell off my bike. If it wasn't bad enough that I had gotten pretty beaten up, I landed in PI and got it everywhere, including my face!

Reese

I think I must not be allergic. I grew up running in the woods, barefoot even, and never had a reaction. I know it was all threw the woods where we played, but none of my siblings ever had any reaction.

javen

Your friend just have to apply and rub alcohol on the infected area. Then rinse with water, any kind of water like tap, then lastly wash up with soap and warm water. This is the first line of defense when you encounter Poison Ivy on your skin.

Camoguy

There is a soap now that helps out if you get exposed and you know it. The only thing is, you may not know until you break out. I think I've had it a few times, but I've never had it bad enough to cause a problem. It generally clears up in a day or two.