Would you be willing to do a survival show?

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
Bear whats his name almost came to my area.The producer talked to a buddy of mine about Bear going to the local wilderness area. I did find out the following, 1 Bear sleeps in a hotel every night, 2 most of his crap stunts are staged, 3 he does eat all the gross stuff you see, 4 he doesn't eat wild boar because he got sick long ago from it. (He did "snare" one on a show but it was a farmers hog, not wild) and 5 the producer was told it was less than 5 miles to a parking lot no matter where he was in the forest. He said it's almost always like that but they can make it look like they're 50 miles from anywhere. Sure.......
They went over to Little river canyon and filmed the mountain stuff and magically went 90 miles south to a low land to finish the show, only to be back 40 miles north to get a hill to film. I'm so happy they blew off my stomping grounds and went elsewhere.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Yeah, I've always felt that Grylls has been doing that...also mentioning, of course, the many times he's been 'caught'.

The guy DOES have a lot of survival-type experience, but he seems to overdo it a bit too much...trying to make the armchair outdoorsman think he's more proficient than he is.

There are also a few other 'survival' shows which I have no interest in.

BigSur

I would never want to do a survival show because the producers on these shows have a main goal: to make the stars look like idiots! Watch any reality show and you will see what I'm talking about.

On the other hand, you can make a boat load of money as long as your 15 minutes are still going!

NatureGal

No, I would not. I wouldn't want to be on television. I also wouldn't be able to sleep around a bunch of people and I also like my privacy. I would not want a camera in my face all the time.

dinosaur

troublemaker
There was another thread in the past that dealt with this subject. As I recall my answer had to do with the "Survivor" series. What I said then was that being placed on an island with a bunch of simps would not have thrilled me and when the "host" showed up with a triple cheeseburger to be awarded to the "team" that won that day's competition, I would have beat the living hell out of the "host", stolen his skiff, rode out to the yacht he had anchored several hundred yards away, climbed aboard, thrown the non-essential personnel overboard, taken command of the yacht and spent the next two years in Fiji.

I reiterate.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
One of the managers at work saw an ad for a reality show looking for a business like I'm in. Before he sent in the application he took a poll. He got 4 people for "yes" and 9 votes for "I'll go to the house and quit first." The paper then went in the trash can.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
I do boats. Mercury, Mercruiser, Mariner, Yamaha and Volvo power stuff. All types boats except PWC and blow motors. They were looking for a family owned marina.

Cappy

Well after whas been going on with the Robertson clan ya much better off with out it. Soon as ya ruffle some liberal feathers they just don't leave ya alone. When they rehired Phil and said they would keep him the libs sifted through every sound bite they could find lookin for more mud to fling.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Most people have never been really hungry and have no idea what they are talking about.
Thank you, ppine. This is probably the only definitive statement made regarding this thread. Survival for those of us who have known it intimately, is not about being voted off an island, has nothing to do with politics or subterfuge, and has everything to do with using every bit of knowledge one possesses to eat, stay warm, and protect oneself.

"Reality shows" are not real. When you venture into one, you are constantly watched by some self-appointed god who will make certain you do not die while he humiliates you and preys upon your emotional state to provide millions of viewers the vicarious thrill of being a bully. This is why I said I would beat the living hell out of the guy in front of all the other competitors. I find these shows disgusting and wonder why our culture finds them anything but obnoxious and demeaning to the human race.

The fact that we find this entertaining is, to me, a mystery and gives me dark thoughts toward the bulk of mankind. I do not wish to feel this way. I didn't watch "Fear Factor" because it conjured thoughts of cramming pig intestines down the host's throat. I didn't watch "Survivor" because I wanted to severely punish the host with a quarterstaff. I don't watch survival shows because most of them have a staff of people surrounding the survival expert with food and a helicopter that removes him from the site daily to luxuriate in a five star hotel before returning to the dismal wilderness the next day. B.S.

I grew up a long time ago when reality TV was watching live as Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald, watching the last moments of the life of Bobby Kennedy after he was shot, the Challenger disaster while having lunch with a girl (our first date), and watching that second plane hit the World Trade Center where I lost some friends.

So come on down to my ranch! I'll give you a dose of reality you won't soon forget. But, hey! I'm a dinosaur. I don't belong in this society. I have no place here. I believe in draconic law and love for one's fellow man. I just don't belong here anymore.

ppine

Forester
dino,
I can understand your point of view. Some of the shows like "Life Below Zero" however, have no story line, just people in the bush living their lives.
Plenty of people have learned enough from watching shows like "Survivorman" to react appropriately and save their own lives.
I also like "Naked and Afraid" because it lasts for 3 weeks. The effects of lack of food and stress become apparent in nearly everyone. It is a learning experience to watch it. The show is somewhat goofy, but shows the true hardship, depression, hunger, agitation and fear that comes with 21 days in the bush. There is no glamour in it.

Most people dismiss the idea of food when they imagine being in a survival situation. They underestimate the lack of energy and depression that results, not to mention the pain of real hunger.

Last edited:

Greatoutdoors

No, I would not want to be on a reality show survival or otherwise. I haven't heard Life Below Zero, or Naked and Afraid before so I'll have to check those out. We watched Yukon Men on Netflix awhile back and it was pretty good.

HighOutdoors

I understand your point of view. And to the posters who referenced my name, I am a new member and do not have multiple accounts. If there is a "fishbill" here, it is not me. I am not offended by your reaction. Carry on.

I've often considered going off the grid and I think that would make for the perfect reality television show. It would show others what the transition is like when leaving traditional society for an off the grid lifestyle.
Judging from your comments it would be a massive transition at best. If at all possible. Would make a great show now that I think of it.

pauldude000

I don't think I could do it. There probably would not be enough vegan foods for me to eat. I'd have to resort to killing animals. I admit that it would be difficult to be a vegan in a society that does not have advanced agricultural techniques and technology.

Also, I would miss my electronics. I am addicted to video games and the web. Sad but true.

How about you? Would you be willing to do a survival show for the right price?
Believe it or not, I was contacted by the casting agent for a TV production outlet for that very thing, a wilderness survival show. I thought it was a joke or a spam e-mail until I researched the information and found that it was legit.

It probably blew the lady's mind when I politely but firmly turned her down.

ArkansasMom

I'm pretty sure I could never survive a survival show. I do not even know how to build a shelter. I watch a lot of those shows and I'm just amazed by what people can do. I might take a few survival lessons at some point.

Rosepetals

No, I really don't think I would be able to for many reasons. I would be uncomfortable in front of a camera, I would probably feel dirty, and just be all around uncomfortable to be there.