"You are not special"

Greatoutdoors

I ran across this story on MSNBC this morning. A high school English teacher gave a speech at graduation and actually told the students the truth. I think it is great, but he will probably end up losing his job over what he said.

IndianaHiker

Not sure why but some people didn't like what he had to say. Really I think that the ones that thought he was disrespectful or not being inspiring really didn't pay attention to what he was saying.

Blueskyy

That was awesome! In my opinion every single person in the audience should have been on their feet and clapping. Bojib I 100% agree, those that didn't like it just got slapped across the face with the truth!

Grandpa

The NEA and various state education associations are very tight run organizations. And their primary agenda is for the benefit of the teachers and not the students. Even though many good teachers, such as the above English teacher, do not agree with all the precepts of the the NEA, they cannot publically express their views or they will be committing career suicide.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Loved it....

I even thought roughly the same thing during my own graduation. What was all the fuss over, when we are all just like every other graduate wearing robes the same day. To me it was no big deal.

Greatoutdoors

I didn't know there was a video I just read the article. I'll have to go see if I can find it just so I can see the looks on people's faces. Did anybody even "get" it?

uday

Probably the high school teacher hated the moment that his students were graduating at that time. I didn't experience hearing that from other faculty members when I graduated from my alma mater.

Hikenhunter

The awesome truth. This message carries on thru our whole life. Too bad some people never will get it. If you get it then your whole life becomes easier, less stressful, and more full than it ever will be if you don't get it.

3ofusnow

This is excellent! I think it is about time somebody told kids (and everyone else) the truth. Somebody should make up posters and hang them around so more people could at least see the message whether they actually understand it or not.