Your Favorite Hiking Trail

Chary

I am new to hiking and I need some advice. Try thinking back to when you first started hiking. What were some hiking trails that you really enjoyed when you first started out? How long of trails do you recommend for new hikers?

Pumpy

I think my favorite hiking trails were those in Hocking Hills Ohio. The rim train and the gorge trail at Conkles Hollow are really amazing and worth the hike.

le Metis

If you're new to the game keep the mileage down, no more then ten miles and travel light.
One of my favorite hiking trails is the John Muir starting in Mojave following the PCT, and ending at Tuolumne meadows in Yosemite National Park.
However, this is not a beginner trek, it's over 200 miles with only one off trail supply point at Lone Pine, and lots of elevation changes with a considerable number of miles at 10 000 ft or higher....

rdowns

Chary

Look to your fitness level first. It all depends that. If you are lean and fit you might hit the trail running, on the hand if you have a few extra pounds (like me) start slow and steady at first, build your self up until you are comfortable. You might only do 1 - 1.5 mph in the beginning, gradually increase your speed until you happy with it. I have found that at 1.75mph I see much more and still get a good workout in a reasonable amount of time.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Jobiwan

Well said Roger.
As far as the length and difficulty, start off easy and increase your distance and difficulty gradually. Once you are "conditioned", it's important to maintain your fitness level. Try choosing a trail that has a reward at the end like a nice vista or secluded pond. Take care of your feet by investing in a decent shoe/boot. Use a walking stick or trekking poles to help take some of the burden off your legs, back and knees. And most important, enjoy yourself; for me hiking/backpacking is 20% physical and 80% mental... Once you convince yourself that your not enjoying yourself then your trip will be a miserable one. Happy trails!

Hammster

A nice, well maintained and groomed trail is a favorite any time but especially when starting out so you don't come up against things you might not be ready for.
Having a good general fitness base is important, but you also need to be in "hiking shape". Hiking for miles takes its toll on your feet and a day pack will give your back a bit of a workout too. Plus, water is generally heavy so that is something to consider when going out for a hike. Not saying don't take water, just need to be ready for the weight. Although the good news is the water weight goes down as you drink it.
I disagree with the poster who suggested starting out with a 10 mile hike. That seems a bit long, IMO. Maybe 3-5 miles in an area near you that might offer some elevation gain and loss, 100-200 feet or so, nothing real significant but enough to test you and your gear a bit. Don't skimp on hiking shoes/boots. Get properly fitted and check about a return policy. REI, for instance, will take back used equipment so they are a great place to buy footwear. Good socks, another must. I use sock liners as well to help keep blisters away. They can happen even with perfectly fitted shoes and good socks.
Another good thing to have is a goal of some sort. Perhaps you are getting ready for a hiking trip, or just want to be able to hike long miles and at some elevation too. Start out easy, at first, and work up to the more difficult hikes.
Maybe a bit more info than you asked for, but hiking really is more than just how long and what trail.

lbean

Man, I should have read all of this a few years back. I went to hike the great seal trail in Ohio. It had a gain of 550 ft. It seemed really flat but suddenly there is this huge hill. Yeah I saw it coming but I did not realize that the 550 was one huge vertical climb. I am exaggerating, it wasn't vertical, it just seemed that way. Wow was I in pain after that.