New profile posts

LOL...definitely didn't give enough information did I?! I'm planning on flying, boarding the dog, will not go to PG unless I fly out of Denver and will be close to Dubois as my first trip is with John Betts from the Absaroka Ranch. I wouldn't venture into bear country out west without a death grip on bearspray and an expert outdoorsman nearby. His family owns the business and I jumped at the chance to join the group and meet a few folks from backpacker forum.

I am open to anything that gets me into country with mountain lakes and vistas like you post in your albums, however Idaho will have to wait until next year. If I don't hook up with a group to bp I'll rent a car and do a road trip in Wyoming. It's a win-win either way I figure!
Sounds like a great vacation Judy. I hope your Absorka friends are experienced with bears. That is prime Griz country. Are you driving? Are you taking your dog? And what is your Absorka exit point? And are you talking scenic driving or backpacking or some of both?

Are you going home via Pickle Gulch? Just trying to get a handle on just what you want to see and do and how much time you have to do it. Answer those questions and I will have a better idea of what to suggest.
It sounds like we may cross paths - if the dates work out, I may join Double Cabin as well for that trip. Let's keep in touch either way and see. If I don't do Double Cabins' trip, I'll be in RMNP for a few days and then hiking some 14'ers hopefully.

I meant to tell you - many of the National Park websites will link to nearby kennels for boarding. There are a few in Jackson, WY that seemed decent.

Sadly, I don't think I have to worry about boarding my dog this year, he's aging pretty quickly at 15 and I doubt he'll be around in September :(
Hi! I'm planning on going to the Absaroka Range the week of Labor Day with Double Cabin's group and then depending how much time is left before PG, I'll plan on at least another adventure. Just saw a picture of the Keyboard of the Winds taken from RMNP. I might just have to do some hiking and find a good spot to take in the views for a few days. Maybe we'll cross paths this fall. I go by Duke Fan over on the other site!
Hey there -for some reason, I just saw this message! I can't think of any ladies in the Smokies off hand, but if I do I will let you know. Where and when is your big Western trip?
Hey Everyone. I'm new here and to the city I live in, so I'm looking for anyone nearby who would like to join me in exploring the outdoors!
Hey Bojib,

I mentioned the Boy Scouts as a possible place to further your outdoor education. I had business in our council web page and saw they had this short video about POWDERHORN and thought you might be interested. This course is for the adult leaders of the older boys although some of the older scouts themselves also attend and also adults that may have reason to assist on outdoor trips.
Grand Teton Council - Boy Scouts of America

You may check with your local council and see what programs they have.
Sorry for not answering sooner. Sometimes I overlook the private message box. You know your set-up! The drop was a little over 350'. Straight drop for about150' or so then it starts to angle out a bit near the bottom.
Fine looking tent you got there!

I love mine and have used it everywhere I can car camp. I once carried it downhill to a lakeside site and had to get some help carrying it back up when the handcart broke. It has done well in windy conditions with large screw into the ground stakes that I got from Home Depot. I basically use them on the windward side.

I've used it in all seasons and it is great especially with all the windows. No problems with noseeums while coastal camping. I have never packed it up wet and have always made sure it was dry before putting away. I put a tarp down under the tent to protect
the investment.

Please let me know how your family enjoys it and any helpful tips you discover.
I see you have a 10 x 10 Kodiak Flex-bow. I just got one for me and my 6 year old to camp. Just getting started with camping/scouts with him. Any tips with this tent would be appreaciated. See you are in the south, most posts and reviews were from out west. I live in SC, was wondering how it handles heat and humidity? With windows down ok? -- FYI I lived in Durham for 2 years, went to NCSSM, and then UNC.
Hey, dude. Just saw your pics of the little spin and your buddy doing the down under. You guys in WA? I'm up in Clallam county.

Parker
Hi...

Did you find the bag you were looking for? If not, I have a brand new, never used -25 rated sleeping bag (the -25 is acually embroidered on the bag). It still has all of the store tags on it, including the $149.99 price.

Should you be interested, I would sell it for $125.00, andd I would also pay the postage.

Good luck with your search, and with your cold camping endeavers.

BOB
Hi, Gunner...

Did I see somewhere on this forum that you were a veteran?

There are a few of us on here.

Would you let me know?

Thanks.
Hi, Larry...

Thanks for the bio...you certainly would know about survival...!!

Also glad to meet another vet. You had some interesting times teaching/training, and living it.

I, too watch (some) of the survival shows, and essentially feel the same way about them as you do.

Yes...Special Warfare would be one good way to go in today's Navy.

I have no delusions about ever having been able to become a SEAL, but I probably would be good on the small boats (RHIBs) that deliver them, back them up if needed, and pick them up when their mission is over.

The Navy has the largest separation of officers and enlisted of any branch of service. I didn't get along at all with a few of them. In fact, I was the first person my shipmates ever heard of who...as a "lowly" E-3, put an officer on report...!! I wasn't one to take any unwarrented flack...!!

Good hearing from you again.

BOB
Wow! I was born in 56, but it's great to meet another Vet all the same. I spent 3 of my 11 years teaching at the Jungle Warfare Branch of the Jungle Operations Training Center in Panama. I spent some time conducting training with the SEALS and SWCC. I always thought that if I were to go in the Navy, SWCC is where I'd like to be. I have been out since 91 and miss it dearly every day.

As much as I enjoy survival related topics, I still enjoy the shows on TV. If you read between the lines and all the edited junk, there is still some good info and not bad entertainment. Even from a comical stand point, you just have to laugh at some of the scenarios they come up with. I am a big "Survivor" fan, even though it's not surviving at all, I like the creativeness of the challenges and of course the eye candy! But over all there's nothing I'd rather be doing than being out in the woods practicing survival skills. Just don't have the time to do it as much as I like.

Larry