New profile posts

Airsoft guns are those bb gun-type-things that shoot little plastic pellets. Some of them are quite elaborate replicas of military weapons. If you go to youtube, there are a whole bunch of videos on the subject (I had to check and see what the heck he was talking about). I'm pretty sure he's a young-un, as I can't imagine an adult getting excited about guns that go pfft, pfft, pfft :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Never heard of him. I don't get airsoft thing either. I'm guessing he's about 12 or 14.
Hi Firedancer! Glad you all woke up our site here the last couple of days! Hope you stick around a while. I'm trying to catch up with some women who hike the Smokies either in the spring or fall and was wondering if you know of any from the other site! Thanks, Judy
Refugee camp for some, others are calling it home. I'm still ticked off at backpacker so am avoiding posting since I am barely able to be civil to them.

I don't know nuttin' 'bout meeting hiking singles...
So I bring up Trailweaver's profile page and there is this targeted ad for "fitness singles - Meet Hiking Singles" so this is our new home..or refugee camp [grins]??
Friday, July 22 , July 24 I'll be parking at Grayson Highlands State park at the Backpacking parking lot. I could meet you there if your going. Plenty of water along this route and the mileage is very low and easy trails.
Thank you Judy. Keith was just one of those guys that worked hard and played hard. A successful farmer, rancher who always had time to haul boyscouts into the wilderness, national ski patrolman, scuba diver, taught ballroom dancing in his own studio, WWII navy vet, etc. etc. To see a man like that go down to the point of totally incapacitated and still live was heartbreaking. He has been in hospice care for nearly a year so we all felt it was a blessing for him that he finally could escape. He was 89. If I see myself headed down that road, it will be time for one last backpacking trip with peanut butter smeared on my pack and heading for grizzly country. (just joking on that part. Grandma keeps the peanut butter under lock and key.)
He's a lot better now if you believe in life after death. It has been a long two years for him and his family but he finally found his relief. He was close to 90 years old and lived a very active life.
Awesome pics!!! Thanks for sending them my way.

What dates in July are you going out? If I can arrange it I would like to try to catch up with you again! :) I'm still trying to figure out my own gear and hopefully will have another hike or two in the meantime. I believe the blueberries will be ripe around that time and that there are a few streams for water if memory serves me correctly. Will I get to meet Paula?
Hi Judy, I am in the process of downloading North Fork trail pics to Picasa photo album and as soon as I get those safely there I'll send you a link.

In July a couple of us plan on heading up to Mt rogers and this is only a 5 mile hike in and day hikes everywhere, If your interested in joining some of us in July I will send you info. This will be my gear shake down trip before Alaska.
Judy, if you look at my album, Sawtooth adventure, Elyse is the 7th from the left. The lady with her is also from Kentucky but her and hubby (taking the picture) spend their time hiking with their kids.
Judy, Did you mention you would like to find compatible backpacking partners? If so, I have a great match for you. One of our hiking friends lives in Kentucky. Her and her friends backpack the AT regularly. Elyse is also one of our group and comes west each summer as well. I just got off the phone with her making our shuttle plans for this summer and she would welcome you to join them. If you want to email her;
elyse.millson@stelizabeth.com. Then you two can make a plan to meet. These ladies are late 50's, very expert and able backpackers. The husbands prefer hunting so the ladies go hiking instead. Elyse indicated she could meet you somewhere for a Smoky hike. If you are interested, send her a note and you can get aquainted.