Bears?

hustead

The FNG
Whatever you do, do not leave the food in your car. Bears will still tear into your car to get the food and you can be fined for leaving food in car at some parks. You dont want to lose your car and get fined for it too.

Refrigerator

Personally I have spent many trips and many years with Bears. Black Bears, Grizzly Bears lower 48 and Black Bears, Grizzly Bears in AK and Canada. Only once have I been attacked..and that was from a Black bear in WV Cranberry Glades Wilderness at Williams River trail...any hooo....
I do however prepare myself somewhat with more protection now and practice Bear protocol wherever I go more than my past mishap. Yes a lesson well learned and never forgotten.
I am in no way advocating I am a Bear expert but I will say I know much about them and how they live ...especially from State to State.....they learn and adapt to there NEEDS and not yours....
Black bears on the East are totally different from upper New England...ie,... NY. NJ etc..than from the southern states....Smokies or Va, TN, Ga etc.... just like the Grizz is different in Wyoming than Alaska. Different in there behavior with Humans.
Go with me to Alaska and I will show you the difference between Grizz there and Wyoming. Go with me to Colorado and the Smokies in NC and I will bring an extra roll of toilet paper and show you different behavior with Black Bears.

You can learn all you want too about Bears....they are like any other living thing on this Earth....they adapt to there environment and region, especially where there are HUMANS.
I have many pics of Bears many of MANY pics...I have watched them with Respect and Dignity.
If you want to see Bears .....many Bears e mail me and I will literally uhhh...wait.... no....the Bears will literally blow you away. They are Great Creatures especially when seen in there natural environment. I frequently go where the Bears are.

SWVAtrekker

SWVAtrekker
I have seen my share of bears. They have always just left me alone but you certainly don't want to be around a cub. The momma bears are very protective. Making a lot of noise helps keeps them at bay.

Refrigerator

I have seen my share of bears. They have always just left me alone but you certainly don't want to be around a cub. The momma bears are very protective. Making a lot of noise helps keeps them at bay.
SWVAtrekker....I live near Mt Rogers Va...actually you can see both Mt Rogers and Whitetop from my deck. You live near me?

oldsarge

Bears are becoming more aggressive, even to the point to learning human style combatives.

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
We see black bears each time we go to the sierras, but have never had any confrontation with one (thank goodness) they come thru the campsites each night trying to find a free meal. About 20 years ago we learned the hard way about food smells in a car. We were woken up at about 3 am to a bear tearing apart the car, he could smell an empty bag of jerky that was left in there!