GPS help!!

Thelosthiker

Do GPS show a map of the hiking trail your on? and does it pinpoint where you are on the trail? i'm not sure how it works.
And what GPS would you recommend?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I wouldn't recommend any. You are thelosthiker. Stay that way and you'll always have a sense of adventure. Don't do anything stupid and you'll always walk away. In the desert you need a compass and water. Around Vegas you don't even need a compass. Just wait till dark and walk towards the light.

Refrigerator

Do GPS show a map of the hiking trail your on? and does it pinpoint where you are on the trail? i'm not sure how it works.
And what GPS would you recommend?
Yes a good GPS will show trails but not always all of them. Some trails have been rerouted and that info will not be on a GPS. You can always bread crumb your hike and backtrack if you get disoriented.
I use a Garmin 60csx and have been using a Oregon 550 t now but still like my 60csx.
You can go here to look at several brands and models...

Handheld GPS at The GPS Store

Global Positioning System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oldsarge

DeLorme and Garmin both offer satellite imagery. I have gotten away from Magellan's for a while and not sure what they have to offer. You have to subscribe and pay a yearly fee for unlimited use for these services. Topo mapping software and Satellite imagery should help a great deal. I use a program for Geocaching called GeoBuddy and it has an urban photo map available. There are times that trails that are not on my map can sometimes be seen there. But urban pictures are limited, depending on where you are, that feature may not be available. I agree with Refrigerator, use your bread crumbs, those with some good Topo mapping software, you should be good to go with your GPS until you get more proficient with a map and compass. I highly suggest that you use your GPS as an aid to developing you map skills. Start out in an area that you know and feel confident in and work with a map and compass then put the GPS through the paces, learning features as you go along. It can be a fun learning experience! Wish I was there to help!

Thelosthiker

Oldsarge: I wish you were here to help me too!!
but now I am so curious as to see how great the GPS really is since i've never had one.
would you recommend the garmin foretrex 301 GPS?

oldsarge

My sister had one of those small models you wear on your wrist, it really didn't work for her too good. I personally wouldn't recommend it. If your really into hiking off in the wilds I would suggest one of their GPS designed for that. Go to the Garmin web site and click on "products", then "On the trail" in the drop down menu.
Don't get me wrong now, Garmin's are good but I used to be a Magellan user for many years. I drop them due to poor customer service. Things may have changed now. I know budget plays a big part in all this so shop around and don't be in a hurry. There may even be a Garmin store out where you live. I know in Alaska you can rent a GPS from the Garmin store.
My next GPS will be a DeLorme PN60 and if I start getting back up to Alaska like I want it might have SPOT capabilities. But that's a long way off. It's fun to dream!
See if you can find a Garmin eTrex Legend H, it's a basic model that can hold maps. Mapping software is sold separately, it's only got a black and white screen though. The next model up is the HCx, it has a color screen. But it's price is higher of course.
Don't just go by what I said, look around, Magellan's may have something in a better price range for you, I don't know. Magellan's always worked for me in the past.
Hopefully others with GPS experience can add some info here and help you make a decision. Don't forget your map and compass!

Good luck, have fun and stay safe!

Last edited:

oldsarge

Also, just so you have a better understanding, A very basic model GPS will have a base map of the major roads/highways of the US. This serves no purpose for me since I want to hike in the woods. When you zoom in on your location, you will only have a blank screen with a trail of your bread crumbs showing, no terrain, no water, nothing. So if you were hiking cross country you would be able to follow your trail back out since you have bread crumbs, no big deal since you going back the way you came. But lets say you wanted to cut cross country and pick up your trail somewhere else, you may run into a problem with terrain because you don't know what's there. Does that make sense to you? Now if you have aTopo map in the GPS, you would be able to see a map of what lies ahead just as if you were carrying a paper map. You could even move the cursor along the map and view what else is out there. Hope that helped!

steves

I just upgraded from a Garmin E-Trex to the Dakota 20. If I didn't learn the basics with the E-Trex I believe the learning curve for the Dakota would of been much worse.
There are so many mapping programs available it will make your head spin, Garmin has a base camp program that seems to work better than my understanding of it. Every time I play with it I learn more tricks, but trying to grasp any of it without the practical experience is lost on me.
Geo Caching has given me the chance to use and learn more about the units than I ever would of just trying to read and understand the VERY vague manuals both units cams with.

oldsarge

In the Chicago land area we have a Geocaching group called GONIL (Geocaches of Northeastern Il.). I know there are many other groups like this across the nation. Those folks are a great resource to gain info on GPS use. You may also be able to hook up with the local Cachers to tag along and learn a few things.
I agree with Steves, The instructions that come with a GPS as pretty much more confusing than helpful. It's nice to know what your GPS can do...but how about some practical application examples.

Thelosthiker

In the Chicago land area we have a Geocaching group called GONIL (Geocaches of Northeastern Il.). I know there are many other groups like this across the nation. Those folks are a great resource to gain info on GPS use. You may also be able to hook up with the local Cachers to tag along and learn a few things.
I agree with Steves, The instructions that come with a GPS as pretty much more confusing than helpful. It's nice to know what your GPS can do...but how about some practical application examples.
Thanks for all of the information, you are Very helpful!! :)
I was looking at the REI website and they offer free classes ever week on different things and they have one for learning how to use the GPS. Seems pretty cool, and it's free, so what the heck, why not give it a try, right?

Refrigerator

Remember you will learn more by using your GPS in a area like Sarge said in a past post, an AREA you know well.... use and experiment. Those classes are good to give you the basic skills but use those skills and develop confidence within yourself and your new (GPS) tool and soon you will be on your way without reservation....I once was like you and past experiences has taught me if I really want it..I can do it......you can do it...

oldsarge

There you go! Have a great time, and get back out there and start enjoying yourself again.

pastalove

Hey I think thats and excellent idea!
Good for you.
Also as for which GPS to get, I can def recommend the Garmin 72. I bought it a while ago and it worked absolutely superbe. Its handheld and perfect for outdoor.

oldsarge

Just picked up an updated edition of "Outdoor Navigation with GPS" by Stephen W. Hinch. (Wilderness press). Even though I'm aware of GPS uses I thought this would be a good buy since it covers most of the new GPS models out there to include mapping programs. Also covers map and compass too. I think it's a great read for new GPS users! It pretty much fills in the gaps of those bogus GPS instructions or lack there of you get with your unit.

oldsarge

Has any one had issues with touch screens being damaged from insect repellant on your hands? I had the rubber on my old Explorist 500 start to melt after coming in contact with Deet based repellants.

Benny

I really never even thought of using my GPS in the wilderness - I guess I never really thought I could pick up a signal - but a friend of mine brought one and I was actually surprised that it worked very well! I, personally, prefer to go the old-fashioned way with a compass and map.

Refrigerator

Has any one had issues with touch screens being damaged from insect repellant on your hands? I had the rubber on my old Explorist 500 start to melt after coming in contact with Deet based repellants.
YES.....This is a problem with many rubber, synthetics out there when contaminated with insect repellent especially DEET products. Definitely do not get DEET on GORE TEX.

oldsarge

I really never even thought of using my GPS in the wilderness - I guess I never really thought I could pick up a signal - but a friend of mine brought one and I was actually surprised that it worked very well! I, personally, prefer to go the old-fashioned way with a compass and map.
Even though GPS manufactures state that heavy tree cover will decrease accuracy, I have had some really good luck with any of my units throughout the years. I've dropped signals on occasion but moved on and re-acquired a signal in no time. That's the nice thing about satellites, you can always find a group up there somewhere.

As far as a map and compass go, you're right on! Don't let those skills perish.