Neck Gaitors

Thelosthiker

I just got a neck gaitor today. I'm a little bit on the late side because my throat hurts like crazy. So here's why... I went out only for a 2 mile jog and it was a bit cold, and made a dumb mistake of not wearing a jacket that can cover my throat. So i got a neck gaitor so I don't have to wear a jacket :)

OpenAir

I have never used one for keeping warm. I've used them for keeping myself dry when I was out hiking in 40 Celsius heat, because the collar of my shirt would rub my neck and make it sore.

OpenAir

No not all. But in this case they did, the starch on the collars making it all the worse. And the commanding officer wouldn't have it any other way....

OpenAir

1998, around August time I believe. That was my team (I'm in the pic, but not outing myself :p), we did 100 miles in four days. Hell on Earth I tell you.

Anyway the neck gaitors were absolutely essential. It's the only time I've used them. The march was on roads, but a lot of our training was hiking cross country to build our stamina.

Lorax

I have the combo neck gaiter/hood set up. it's awesome for filling that odd gap where the wind can blow right down your neck. A true necessity in the upper midwest.

BTBoop

I had never heard of these before or at least not called that anyways. I am going to be looking into it soon though because I could use these for my husband and kids.

Thelosthiker

I had never heard of these before or at least not called that anyways. I am going to be looking into it soon though because I could use these for my husband and kids.
They're awesome. I don't know what you can call it... neck gaitors, buffs, idk. But it's really nice to have so that way if a jacket's not enough and you don't want to wear a scarf with it dangling down, I would go with the neck gaitors 'cause it is pretty comfortable and warm :)

ChadTower

Oooookay. I grew up in Canada and people here in MA think I'm crazy because I'm the one out shoveling after a storm in a hoodie and a baseball hat. I had to look up what a neck gaitor is and can't imagine wearing that thing unless it's well below freezing and 30mph winds.

Lorax

Oooookay. I grew up in Canada and people here in MA think I'm crazy because I'm the one out shoveling after a storm in a hoodie and a baseball hat. I had to look up what a neck gaitor is and can't imagine wearing that thing unless it's well below freezing and 30mph winds.
Which it usually is here. I'm in a sweatshirt down to 40 but when that wind blows off the lake when I'm working (we stop at -40) or I'm out winter backpacking, it's great to have.

ChadTower

Which it usually is here. I'm in a sweatshirt down to 40 but when that wind blows off the lake when I'm working (we stop at -40) or I'm out winter backpacking, it's great to have.

Yeah. At that point exposed skin is in physical danger pretty quickly. Up until that point, though, I see that thing as more of a problem than a solution.

Grandpa

We had them in the Army, I used them after I came home til they wore out, then back to the faithful neckerchief.