Tell me what's great about Backpacking?

LivingToCamp

I've been camping a lot over the years but never backpacking. I was wondering if all you backpacking enthusiast could tell me what you find great about it? I'm thinking of giving it a try. :)

Lorax

Going places the crowds can't get to.
Solitude if you want it, or it's great with a few friends.
It hones the skills of adaptability and awareness.
It forces you to slow it down and take it all in.
It allows you to get out in all seasons.
Tweaking your gear to fit situations is fun.
You can hammock, tent or tarp....switch it up for different types of trips.
It's cheap and healthy.
You can bring fishing equipment and get way back in where others won't go.
and most of all..................

Is there anything better than a walk in the woods?

Lamebeaver

Great comments so far. One more thing, it's easier. Less stuff to pack, less laundry when you get home.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
The man who goes afoot, prepared to camp anywhere and in any weather, is the most independent fellow on earth. He can follow his bent, obey the whim of the hour, do what he pleases whenever he pleases, without deference to anybody, or care for any beast of burden or obedience to the course of any current. He is footloose and free. Where neither horse nor boat can go, he can go, seeing country that no other kind of traveler ever sees. And it is just these otherwise inaccessible places that have the strongest lure for anyone who delights in new discovery, in unspoiled nature, and in the charms of primitive society. –Horace Kephart 1906

Horace said it well over 100 years ago.

I simply revel in the desert earth and its own kind of solitude. Off the beaten path, I have stood beneath lost 3000 year old ancient works of art with no footprints below, gone in the eerie, beautiful vast spaces where ravens speak to each other in strange languages while beak to beak and burning meteors singe the sky. I have seen pronghorn antelope sweep the desert at 60 mph, a thing that seems impossible even when one does see it. I have placed my hands and fingers in three toed dinosaur tracks, lost since time immortal and have felt where their rounded toes pushed down into the mud. I know strange landscapes littered with painted pottery shards, projectile points and the enigmatic moki marbles. None of these things appeared near a trail or a road and none had water sources nearby. Though I am not some brave super hiker and know these places can kill, they provide a space for me to explore and simply breathe.

I like the Spartan minimal lifestyle too.

Grandpa

All the above. How would you like to take a 50 mile walk on a trail that sees maybe 10 people a year, through virgin forests along crystal clear creeks and rivers, with the possibility of meeting a bear, or moose, or elk, or any number of other critters?

HikerJoe

Killer views, solitude, great exercise, sunsets, sunrises, wondering if that noise was the wind, a rogue bear or the guys from Deliverance. Priceless.

LivingToCamp

Hahaha, well I'm glad I checked back in here! It sounds like we have some real happy backpackers here. :) And ya know what? I think I will start thinking very seriously about taking up a new 'hobby'. Thanks for all your replies.

charley

I have a friend who once said the greatest thing about backpacking is, it feels sooo goood when you stop.

Michael

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear... wait. Wrong thing.

Pretty much what everyone else said. You get out into nature, go for a long walk, and then sleep out there. You're far away from other people, and hopefully from their trash. It's quiet, except for the sounds of life happening all around you.

Good stuff.

Newanderthal

The most beautiful places in the world are nowhere near roads.

HikerJoe illustrated it recently while posting pics of his tent.
Show me the parking lot in this photo.

ponderosa

The best places are almost always a couple day's walk from the trailhead, and it's fantastic to not have to share them with anyone but the few (carefully chosen) people you came with. The great feeling of being self sufficient is a bonus.

ppine

Forester
Solitude intertwinned with nature. Your world shrinks to a small pack.

I think the small, simple aspect of BPing is under rated. It is an important part of what makes it addicting. There is not much to mess with and it is all light and easy to manage.

Last edited: