What Would You Do?

gregkthompson

What would you guys do, if you were stuck on deployment (a ship) for 6 to 7 months. What would you do to get over not being able to camp, hike, fish, or anything that keeps you sane.

I think I have read just about every outdoor mag thats available.

oldsarge

Hit the gym and train my ass off! Go to the education center and sign up for schooling of some sort. Join the Army when re-enlistment time rolls around. That will break you of that "I miss the outdoors" feeling!

wvbreamfisherman

Never been in that situation, but I'd say make plans for what you can do on leave, when it rolls around. Keep in touch with outdoor buddies. Hit the gym. There is lots of outdoor stuff available on the Internet, so that might help scratch the itch a bit. Other than that I don't have much to suggest.

CozInCowtown

Been there, done that back in 87/92.
You are gonna be too busy to worry about it and when you get back you will definately be ready to go ANYWHERE!!

oldmangunner

Yeah, and you will stay in shape as well. Chances are that you will not just be buys but you will be exposed to many new and challenging things. Who knows, you may be fitter than ever before.

Tubby

Just keep pluggin' along until your duty is up. Keep in shape, stay on deck a lot and try your best to keep learning skills when you can.

oldsarge

Come on now! I know how you Navy folks are, midnight lounging on the deck with a cold brew, skeet shooting off the stern every afternoon, fresh sea food in the galley daily. You guys got the life!

IndianaHiker

The same that that I do when my job keeps me in. Read the mags, the forums, and plan trips for when I get back. Maybe take some maps with you of the places you want to go to do some more in depth planning.

Thanks for serving from an old Army vet.

ejdixon

Boy! And here I am grumbling about not being able to go out camping because of deadlines. Now I feel a bit guilty. :)

I'd probably do what IndianaHiker suggested: read the mags and start planning on the camping trips that I'd want to do so that when I get back, I'd be able to make the most of it.

Scotty

That's about all you can do in that type of situation. I would try to hit the forums as much as possible, train to make sure I stayed in shape so I could head to the hills when I got home!

elizabeth

Hey, if you can send a helicopter for me I'm there! We can get a group of guys to sit around a pretend campfire and tell old camping stories.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Thank you for your service.

What kind of ship are you on?

I, too, am an old Navy man. When I was shipboard, we had no library (or magazines, etc.), no e-mail, no computers to search out forums, and no gym or similar facilities.

All I could do was make the best of it. Thinking about my time afield pre-Navy. Thinking about what I will be doing when we get back to our home port (and be going on leave).

Thinking about what I'll be doing when we hit our next foreign port. You will go ashore sometime on this cruise, right?

Had some rather interesting experiences, too.

You're an old salt, you'll do alright. All the best.