Back Packing Tent

grand

I wish to go on an extended back packing trip with some friends, but we agreed to have separate tents. Who makes the "top-of-the-line, one-man, back packing tent? Where is it available?

Refrigerator

Mountain Hardwear, MSR to name a couple.......Kelty would be the cheaper end.....North Face has a few as well. Go to REI.com, Campmor.com, Mountaingear.com, Tarps,..... or just google one man backpacking tents.....

danny28

I would have said North Face right from the start. I've never heard of a Kelty tent.

Anyway your trip sounds wonderful- where will you be backpacking and camping? Take something super lightweight since you will be carrying it with you.

ponderosa

Kelty has been around forever in the backpacking gear world. I currently own four Kelty tents. As long as you avoid the cheaper models with fiberglass poles and skimpy rain flies, you will get a great product. The true backpacking tents I have from Kelty are every bit as good as my very spendy MSR backpacking tent, in design, materials, and workmanship.
If money isn't an issue, my favorite one man tent, because of the pole configuration and available "living" space, is the MSR Hubba. I have the 3 man version of this one and love it.

I often find the best prices online at campmor.com and sunnysports.com

Lamebeaver

IMHO, you're asking the wrong question.

You can get a top of the line tent for $300 or more, or you can get 10 basic tents for $30.

The cheap tents need to be seam-sealed, and won't last as long. But you won't cry as hard when you have a branch poke throught the screen, etc. on the cheap one.

For my money, cheap tents make more sense.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Some good 1 person tents include:

Sierra Designs Light Year 1
MSR Hubba
Sierra Designs Zolo 1
Sierra Designs Vapor Light 1
Big Agnes Fly Creek 1
Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1
Marmot Eos 1

I'm going to differ with the previous poster and suggest you stay away from the cheap tents. They don't last, and if you find yourself in a storm with a leaky tent and cheap poles that broke in the wind you'll be pretty miserable.

That said, nearly every tent I mentioned above sells for under $200 with the exception of the Big Agnes Fly Creek. So you don't have to spend a bundle to get a quality solo tent.

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

I use a tarp instead of a tent. Love my Granite Gear White LIghtning. This weekend trying a hammock for the first time. The Tarp is 8x10 and only weight a pound.

Last edited:

Michael

I use a Coleman 1 person backpacking tent. It's about 2 1/2 pounds, which is light enough for me. It goes up quickly and comes down quickly. I found it on sale for something like 80 bucks. So far it's been more than worth every penny.

I tried out tarp camping for the first time this summer. I used a 6x8 blue tarp that I bought for 4 dollars. It took more fiddling than the tent, but it wasn't at all difficult to put up. My only real complaint about it is that it was buggier than a tent, but that's easy enough to solve (mesh, wait until it's not buggy, etc). The thing weighs less than a pound, and it rolls up smaller than my water bottle, so I'd consider something similar if I were trying to cut all possible weight.

WildRover

I second the person who said to go to campmor. They have a good selection of one man tents and bivys.

Personally, I'd go with the Sierra Designs VaporLight... Oh wait, I already did and it's a good tent with no problems.

scouthiker

Too many tents to make any recommendation based on the original post.
Where will you be hiking? What kind of weather will you likely experience? Appears this is your first rodeo - will you be getting back on the horse?
What kind of budget do you have? Maybe consider renting if you are close to an REI or other such shop.
Personally I LOVE my Tarptent Rainbow & Double Rainbow - but it sure wasn't the first tent I bought

Mudslide

Got my first bping tent from Sportsmansguide for I think about 30-40 bucks. 3 lbs and Ive used it for years and still kickin. I will start using a tarp for cooler weather though.

Grandpa

I hate to sound like a broken record, but you should try recreation outlet for online shopping. They are great to work with and they match prices. The spam is not for my benefit but yours because I have absolutely no affiliation with them and have found them to be a good source of outdoor stuff.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I hate to sound like a broken record, but you should try recreation outlet
The return policy there sucks though plus the selection seems to be low end stuff with a few old closeouts of good quality.

Take the MSR Carbon Reflex 2 for example. This is the 2010 closeout, not the current version. Rec Outlet lists it at $399.95. And you cannot return it after it has been used. There is no where to price match because no one else is selling it. It was easy to get this tent for $350 a few months ago but supplies are gone.

Newanderthal

There's no one best tent. I've used MSR, Eureka and Sierra Designs. I like the Sierra Designs best, but I could make a case for the other two (Eureka was warmer, MSR lighter).

ppine

Forester
There are lots of great tents out there. The idea of a one person tent always seems odd to me. A tarp works really well for one person. IndianaHiker's photo is a nice one. For stormy weather it could be lowered close to the ground. A head net works well for bugs. What ever happened to the small A-frame tents? They were light and worked great, and easy to set up. They were the so called mountaineering tents.

My favorite shelter is a nylon Whelen lean-to that is designed to have a fire in front. It is light and will sleep two. It is fun to be able to see the woods at night, roll over and add wood to the fire, and watch the snow roll in. It adds a level of intimicy with nature that is lost in a tent. A tarp provides the same thing. Tents are good for really wet weather like Sierra Designs. Team up with a pal and split the weight.

Refrigerator

Those Mountaineering tents are now Geodesic, much better to withstand the winds that are prevalent at higher elevations. You can still by those A frame tents...Campmor.com has them made by Eureka and they are some of the best made out there.