Teacher mauled by wolves

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me wolves are.

According to today's Anchorage Times and a Tacoma newspaper, a woman teacher who was killed last year in southeast Alaska was...through DNA testing and investigation...found to have been killed by wolves.

Now What?

Grandpa

Even though this report is a year late, I am surprised they were able to report it as it fails to meet all the criteria for a wolf attack set by the fed biologists prior to the invasion oops reintroduction of the northern grey into the lower 48 states.

Grandpa

Reading the articles about this death was quite interesting. I particularly was fascinated by this statement.

"Biologists were able to identify the wolves involved through DNA evidence found at the scene, a first in investigations of fatal wolf-human encounters, according to the report.

Fish and Game writes that despite the findings, and outstanding questions, wolves are no more dangerous than they were prior to the attack, and people should not be unnecessarily fearful." December 06, 2011|By Ted Land | Channel 2 News, Anchorage

The first paragraph sort of shoots down the idea that wolves don't attack humans and weren't the wolves just as dangerous before the attack as after?

wvbreamfisherman

Nothing will happen- don't you know that the science is settled? Facts tending to disagree with that must be consigned to the memory hole immediately, as they are simply propaganda from Big err something -or other!

Wolves never attack humans, in fact they are nothing but big misunderstood babies. Just ask noted wolf expert Kevin Costner!

Pathfinder1

I believe that I read about another person...was it last winter?who was travelling home (or wherever) in the snow at night...and was stalked and killed by wolves? It was somewhere in North America.

Maybe those "urban legends" regarding wolves in Russia a hundred years ago were true? They allegedly killed...or tried to kill...humans...and the horses that were pulling their troikas?

Again, allegedly, Russia now has some extremely HUGE wolf packs roaming around. I've heard/seen some numbers mentioned...but I'm going to stay away from that one...!!

Otto

I have seen a short film, it says the hunter is to Wolf strangulation. The hunters use ribbons to form a hunting ground, standing at a distance shot, right now I think they are poor, they are helpless. Is this is Wolf for human's revenge?

Grandpa

I have seen a short film, it says the hunter is to Wolf strangulation. The hunters use ribbons to form a hunting ground, standing at a distance shot, right now I think they are poor, they are helpless. Is this is Wolf for human's revenge?
You may have seen a film, but you sure haven't seen a Northern Grey Wolf. Or you haven't seen a meadow with 35 slaughtered elk (found by wrangler, Chamberlain Basin, Idaho) and not one eaten, or 300 sheep killed in one night (Private pasture near McCall, Idaho)

http://mtmultipleuse.org/endangered/wolf_pics.htm[/URL

carmen

I love seeing them from a far but never up close, I am sure I would scream like a little girl. To me nature is exactly that, its nature, nothing to be domesticated. And people need to be smart about where they are when animals like this are around.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Wolves never attack humans, in fact they are nothing but big misunderstood babies. Just ask noted wolf expert Kevin Costner!
I have a pet Red Wolf but that doesn't make me an expert on wolves. Of course, Kevin Costner dances with wolves. I suppose if I were out camping I might dance with a wolf but I wouldn't invite her back to my tent.

My wolf, on the other hand, is somewhat domesticated. But I've had people ask if he will bite. Of course he'll bite. All canines bite. Some are just bigger than others.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa is right. People who live in ID and spend time in the hills see wolves. If you live in the west or upper midwest, get ready because there will soon be wolves around if they aren't there yet. Saw a wolf in no. NV this Sept near the ID line while hunting elk.

I did some fire rehab work for a lady near here that had a 7/8 wolf hybrid. Jezebel ran loose on about 50 acres of private and public land and watched me work some times. I avoided eye contact with her, but became comfortable in her presence after a while. Some of my day laborers were a different story. One morning I was sitting on the tailgate of my truck with a new guy putting on our work boots. "Don't look over there" I said, "but there is a wolf watching us." " Holy ****", was all he could he manage.

Last edited:

Grandpa

I have been very outspoken about wolves. I know it is a controversial subject with a lot of passion on both sides. Let me make it perfectly clear. I have nothing against wolves. We had a healthy population of wolves in the Idaho wilderness before the invasion oops reintroduction. There was a wolf killed in this valley in 1988 by a rancher after the wolf had killed livestock. Other wolves were also occasionally seen here. Wolves were commonly seen in the massive wilderness/primitive areas of central Idaho. But to bring in the larger species and then put all wolves on the endangered list was totally irresponsible by the government. The wolves would be fine if they were properly managed but they are being allowed to run free. From the few they said they planted in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming they have spread into all the neighboring states. The feds finally admitted that a wolf pack was established in Utah two years ago, despite wolves being seen regularly in the Promontory range as early as 2000. And in 2003, and 2004, several wolves were killed attacking livestock in NE Utah. I am sure by now Colorado has several packs as well. Two years ago a pack was confirmed in the Cascades. Now it is five packs. They said that first pack had migrated from the Frank Church wilderness in Idaho. Let me see, a pack of wolves decideds to migrate, so they leave the Church, cross 100 miles of the Payette NF into the Seven Devils on the Idaho side of Hells Canyon, cross the canyon to the Hells Canyon Wilderness on the Oregon side, cross the Eagle Cap Wilderness, cross the Blue Mountains, cross the Sisters Wilderness and take up residency in the Cascades? Without stopping at all those other pristine wilderness'? If those wolves migrated, it was in the back of a Fed biologists truck.

Qweetzy

Any wild animal is dangerous. But, wolves will kill for the thrill and not for necessity. They are huge, dangerous canines that can tear out any animals throat in an instant if they hit in the right spot immediately which they very often do. They, as well as wild/feral dogs, will stalk any prey and work together to take them down. We have had to deal with a feral dog pack recently and it is hard to find them because their sense of smell is so much more advanced than ours. They know we are coming to hunt them long before we ever see them.

I don't have anything against wolves either, Grandpa and Dinosaur. As a matter of fact, I've thought seriously of getting one for a companion animal. But, they will always, in the recesses of their minds, be a predator. It's like having a lion or a tiger for a pet. It can be done and done successfully, however they still have that instinct.

I have no idea why the feds thought they should reintroduce them since they are still around in remote areas. Since they called a hiatus on killing them they were thriving in certain areas.

So, if Little Red Riding Hood is out there reading, don't trust a wolf whether it be a wolf in human clothing or just a plain old gray wolf stalking you.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well, Qweetzy, I don't entirely agree with everything you said. But, that's not important. You are correct about wolves being predators. If you are going to have one as a pet, make certain it understands that you are the ALPHA.

sailorman

I don't think I would have a wolf as a pet, either. I have heard stories of people domesticating a wolf and getting on with it for years. Then one day it just snaps and attacks its owner. I would always have that fear in my mind and animals can sense fear.

Grandpa

A pet wolf killed my neighbors 3 year old boy several years ago. The boys were running, the little guy was trying to keep up and the wolf just ran up behind and gave him a "playful nip" on the back of the neck.

Newanderthal

I don't think I would have a wolf as a pet, either. I have heard stories of people domesticating a wolf and getting on with it for years. Then one day it just snaps and attacks its owner. I would always have that fear in my mind and animals can sense fear.
I've seen this happen with a golden retriever, a scottish terrier, and a tabby cat.

It's nothing to do with wolves. It has to do with animals in general... and people for that matter.
How many people just snapped one day? We call it "going postal".
It happens with dogs, wolves, cats, donkeys, elephants, children, etc. If it can think, it's complex enough to wig out.