Cooking up a big Ham

Gabbie

When we are going to go camping for a few days I love to cook up a big Ham the day before so that we can take it along to make up some really good ham sandwiches. :) We also cut some up to have with our eggs for breakfast.

LoveTheWater

That sounds like the way to do it! We have actually done that ourselves a time or two. Sometimes it will be a nice beef or pork roast. They all make great sandwiches and will last a few days if kept on cold. :)

JimBob

That sounds very good Gabbie. How do you cook your ham to give it flavor or do you not add anything? For me, ham is best with either pineapple or brown sugar. I actually like ham more than beef.

CampingFamily

We have also done this a few times and it sure makes it a lot easier while camping. There is nothing like a nice thick ham sandwich for lunch. :)

ejdixon

That's one of the foods I look forward to whenever I go camping with my folks. As for the glaze, I know my mom uses pineapple juice as the main ingredient. Not really sure what the other ingredients are. Will try if I can milk it out from my mom this year.

Gabbie

First I cut several slices all over it. Then I pour orange juice on it and then rub brown sugar on it and pour a little more orange juice and a tad more brown sugar. I also try to baste it a time or two during it's cooking time. Always comes out good.

Otto

Ham has its unique delicious, make a person fondle admiringly. Ham and pork floss, a great sandwiches are going to finish. LOL

CampingFamily

Hi Gabbie, that sounds like a really great way to cook up a ham. I usually use pineapple. I think I will try the orange juice next time with the brown sugar. Thanks for mentioning it.

Lovefall

That is something that we have never done before camping. I love ham and so does my family. I'm going to try it the next time we go. We always buy deli ham and then bacon, this would be tastier and cheaper.

Grandpa

Hi...

Ain't that the truth? I truly fine ham sandwhich is a favorite of mine.

How come nobody has mentioned the redneck method of cooking a ham?
Hey, just because I met my wife at the family reunion does not make me a redneck !!!!! So what is the redneck way to cook a ham?

Grandpa

Okay, just for the record before someone gets excited, my girlie cousins were getting worried that I needed a wife. So they got their heads together, all came up with their best candidates, reviewed the criteria and one was invited to come to the family reunion. It was a trap all the way and I fell for it. We've been married 42 years.

Pathfinder1

Hey, just because I met my wife at the family reunion does not make me a redneck !!!!! So what is the redneck way to cook a ham?

Hi...

Well, it takes some careful prep. Prepare it as you usually do, then place it in the oven, with the temp set at 375-degrees.

Then simply go about your business.

When the smoke alarm goes off, the ham is done.