Home camping

Michelle

Our camping trips during the summer are really the only time we're together as a family so I've started a new tradition. Once a month we have home camping night. We turn our living room into a huge tent, hang out and sleep under it. Electronics are allowed because it's the only thing that keeps the kids awake! We tried it with no electronics and they fell asleep early and were up at 4. Not good.

CatsEye

We've done that in the back yard but never in the house. That is a good idea. Keeping the kids interest in camping alive during the long winter. Ours are always interested in doing things outdoors though, and they are always tramping around outdoors.

rockin

That sounds like fun! We should do it too - so do you make popcorn and tell ghost stories? I mean you can't have a campfire since it is in the middle of your living room.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
We roasted hot dogs in the fireplace last month. Really fun. Of course, we use real wood. None of that gas log crap, that's cheating.

ppine

Forester
Great idea. We used to sleep on the floor quite often in front of the wood stove with the three dogs. About once a month in the winter, we would have Pioneer Night and not use any electricity. Lots of reading out loud and singing and early to bed.

We still have lots of camping in the back yard next to 1 mil acres of public land.

Michelle

That sounds like fun! We should do it too - so do you make popcorn and tell ghost stories? I mean you can't have a campfire since it is in the middle of your living room.
We don't usually do the ghost stories but we do have popcorn, pizza and whatever else my son can get away with since it's a 'special' night.

ejdixon

We used to do that back when I was a kid, but like everyone else, we did that in our backyard. We had a bbq grill where we cooked our food. Great way to beat the heat.

Terry

A few years ago we built a small bare bones cabin out in the woods. It has a wood stove for safety's sake but not much else. We make a point of having an overnight camping trip there about once a month in winter. We all love it.

alex k

when i got my first tent , did a living room campout with my daughters . fond memories esp when the cat wanted out of the tent ( found repair tape good to have at all times )
still sleep in the trailer some nights now . i may be at home , but i'm "away".

Otto

In the life of the first is good, the first time camping is both excited and unforgettable. By the way a sos laser pointer maybe will help you when you are lost..

Last edited:

skybear

A few years ago we built a small bare bones cabin out in the woods. It has a wood stove for safety's sake but not much else. We make a point of having an overnight camping trip there about once a month in winter. We all love it.
That's great. You're so lucky you have the land to do that. I'd love to have a little getaway-even if only for a night.

ejdixon

That is definitely a treat to have. You're very lucky. I wish I had something like that close by.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
In the life of the first is good, the first time camping is both excited and unforgettable. By the way a sos laser pointer maybe will help you when you are lost..
All they have are 5mw lasers. Pfft. You lost and need a truly visible, multipurpose tool? Carry a 200mw green laser. beam visible for miles, and can light matches and burn stuff at close range. Of course, you have to order them from overseas, but they are fun. Just dont point at planes. check highlasers.com.

Otto

Thanks guy. You're right, 5mw beam can't see in the daylight even night. It'd better choose powerful output laser pointer.

WildRover

We lost power for a week this early November due to an early snowstorm. We pulled our camping stuff out and camped out in our yard! We built a fire and cooked over it. We slept in heavy sleeping bags and brought out extra down comforters as well. We were warm and toasty and well fed. The tent was WARMER than our house and being out with the fire really made it feel "normal" not to have the electricity.

We even had many neighbors come over to cook their food on our fire and we were happy to do it because it gave us something to do!

ejdixon

That's definitely one of the benefits about camping. Even in a situation like that, you not only find a way to enjoy. You also got to get your neighbors find a warm and cozy way to deal with it, too. Great job, WildRover.

Woods

Nice! As a kid I was always thrilled with such ideas, making a fortress and camping at home. I know that kids love these things and some adults too. :)

hiking_and_biking

. We turn our living room into a huge tent, hang out and sleep under it.
We used to do this, too, when I was a kid. My cousin and I would sleep over at my aunt's house, build a makeshift tent in the living room, and "camp out" up under it. When I got a little older, my friends and I would also go camping in the backyard whenever they slept over. ;~)