Survival gift

3ofusnow

Okay, so money is tight this year so my husband and I decided to go with practical gifts. I would like to get him something survival related that maybe he can throw in his BOB. Any ideas?

oldsarge

How about some type of alternate fire starting tools, such as a fire steel or fire piston?
Fire Pistons Fire steel are inexpensive and something to play around with while out and about in the woods. The fire pistons are more expensive but really nice to have. I'm working on getting one of those! Of course I always like some type of knife and there's many to chose from. Here's one I have my eye on right now Ontario Blackbird SK-5 Wilderness Survival Knife . Maybe upgrade to a better style compass or GPS, water purification system, cooking gear or shelter.

catspa

I'd suggest a 50' length of 7/16 or 10mm rope, with at least a 1000# breaking strength. There are many uses, and it'd probly set you back 15 bucks.

Parker

3ofusnow

I told him I was going to get him a roll of Gorilla tape, and I probably will but I need something else too. I may look into some water purification options. I am going to check out the fire pistons too OldSarge!

oldsarge

I'd suggest a 50' length of 7/16 or 10mm rope, with at least a 1000# breaking strength. There are many uses, and it'd probly set you back 15 bucks.

Parker
I used to by army green line rappelling rope from Cheaper Than Dirt or The Sportsman's Guide. It is Nylon 7/16 three strand with a right hand lay, comes in 120' lengths and has a tensile strength of 4000lbs. It great stuff and not that pricey either.

wvbreamfisherman

50-100' of paracord. Space blanket. Trangia alcohol stove with or without mini cookset. Firestarters. Multi-tool. Pocket first aid kit. Aquamira purification tablets. Water filter.

Just a few ideas which range from pretty dern cheap to less than $50. (OK bit more for a water filter perhaps. Didn't really do any price research.)

Oh yeah- forgot to mention some of those chemical hand warmers. Not too expensive, and could be a lifesaver!

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

Hi...

All are good ideas.

Can you tell us what he presently has in the way of survival gear? And the State and climate he will most likely be in?

You may also want to visit SOL's website, they specialize in survival gear. Maybe that will give you a few ideas.

catspa

That's good stuff Sarge, I had a chunk of it that I used in the 90s until it was so fuzzy I gave it to my BIL. I spliced an generous eye in one end for fast top-rope anchoring.

Since then I've kinda switched over to kernmantle static line, but I still remember the green line fondly.

WVBF, water filters vary widely in function and cost. Mine was about 20 bucks.

Parker

catspa

Good idea, Jason.

To the OP, Search Gear is one outfit that gets a lot of my money. They've got some pretty cool stuff, and their prices are not usually great but okay. Good for idea shopping if nothing else.

Parker

state_camper

Okay, so money is tight this year so my husband and I decided to go with practical gifts. I would like to get him something survival related that maybe he can throw in his BOB. Any ideas?
If he doesn't have one already, I'd say a first-aid kit is the most practical gift you could get him. Amazon.com sells a first aid kit w/over 200 pieces in it, specifically for outdoor activities (camping, boating, fishing and hunting) and it's less than $30.

Otto

Well, it can emit the SOS signal, expecially the beam light can be seen at night.