Gray squirrel infestation

Roy

Anyone here have any advice on getting rid of gray squirrels in our attic. I'm afraid they're going to chew the wires and burn the house down. Already tried coyote scent, mothballs and rat poison but nothing works. I got a quote from a professional but they said it will be $2,000 to get rid of them with a one year guarantee that they won't come back.

Lorax

Small live trap and inspection of the space to figure out where they are coming in.You must then seal those places.
Do not use poison or they will die in the wall spaces and they are large enough to create a stink when the 'ol nitrogen cycle takes over and they decompose.

Pathfinder1

Small live trap and inspection of the space to figure out where they are coming in.You must then seal those places.
Do not use poison or they will die in the wall spaces and they are large enough to create a stink when the 'ol nitrogen cycle takes over and they decompose.

Hi...

Very good advice. It may also be possible to trap them with rat-sized glue boards. Many hardware and farm supply stores carry them.

It appears that you actually saw them. Perhaps a low-velocity pellet gun would be useful.

Lorax

Then squirrel stew.
-Take the dressed squirrels and par boil them for 5 minutes
-Using the old Shake -n-Bake (BBQ flavor), follow the directions and bake them on a pan in the oven
-Enjoy

By far, my favorite way to have them.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Hi...

Very good advice. It may also be possible to trap them with rat-sized glue boards. Many hardware and farm supply stores carry them.

It appears that you actually saw them. Perhaps a low-velocity pellet gun would be useful.
I love the glue trap idea! Then you can get out the needles, fishhooks, x-acto knives, tack hammer, pliers and all the other "fun with small animals" kit.
(kidding!)

My dad bought a pellet gun and sat in his attic, waiting. He found the hole they were coming in, and after killing several, he fixed the hole. I think he just threw them in the garbage, not being one to make stew.

dinosaur

troublemaker
-Take the dressed squirrels and par boil them for 5 minutes
-Using the old Shake -n-Bake (BBQ flavor), follow the directions and bake them on a pan in the oven
-Enjoy

By far, my favorite way to have them.
God bless you,Lorax! Merry Christmas.

Geezer

I paid $3,000 to get rid of my infestation. The majority of the money was spent on squirrel proofing. When your house is over 200 years old there are a LOT of spaces that they can get in.

limbs

We have a squirrel problem,too, and we are thinking of gassing them out. We are going to have a heck of a time trying to seal all the places they are getting in. Like Geezer, we live in a big-old house.