Surviving in Wolf Country

DThewanderer

After hearing about more wolf attacks I am starting to wonder how to survive in wolf country. I always imagine it being a little like Dancing with Wolves, where you make wolf friends. But now I am starting to think one should be taking measure to guard against them.

Grandpa

Very wise my friend. Very wise thinking.

Wolves are territorial. Take a dog into their area and you WILL be attacked. Most (but not all) of the recent attacks had a dog involved. The problem is how fast their area is expanding now they are protected.

I have been hiking and camping around both black and brown bears as well as big cats all my life and never thought to carry a sidearm. It has just been the last 4 or 5 years that practice has changed. I no longer take my dog when I hike certain areas, and when the grandkids are with, they are never to be alone.

Lamebeaver

You're more likely to be killed in a car accident. Does that stop you from driving?

Don't worry about the wolves.

catspa

Coz, I pretend to be their friend also, just until I can get a clear sight picture, safe line of fire and squeeze, not pull...

Parker

catspa

Yup, gives me a good feeling to know my "friends" are behind me 100% (snarling, growling and snapping their fangs). The hair on my neck stands up in gratitude.

Parker

SunnyDay

I don't have any wolves here but we do have coyotes and bears. The bears don't worry me but I am a bit unnerved by coyotes. I don't know why.

Lamebeaver

A lot of people think that camping and backpacking are frought with danger, and that the woods is a dangerous place. Many of the people who come here looking for advice are beginners. I believe that it is our responsability as experienced outdoorsmen (and women) to dispel these myths and to encourage people to get outside and enjoy nature.

The more people enjoy being outdoors, the more likely they are to support legislation that helps to protect wild areas.

I won't get into the issue of personal protection, but I will say I believe you are probably safer in the wilderness than you are walking or driving down most city streets.

Michael

I won't get into the issue of personal protection, but I will say I believe you are probably safer in the wilderness than you are walking or driving down most city streets.
I just checked out the CDC's web site to check injury and death statistics. It suggests that (in no particular order) heart disease, respiratory ailment, cars, poison, and firearms are some of your more threatening items. And while falls and drowning get mentioned specifically (as sub-categories of accidental injury), when wilderness related injuries are mentioned at all, they're a tiny portion of those injured or killed, a portion that's several orders of magnitude behind being hit by a car.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that crossing the street is more dangerous than walking in the woods.

dinosaur

troublemaker
A lot of people think that camping and backpacking are frought with danger, and that the woods is a dangerous place.
I believe you are probably safer in the wilderness than you are walking or driving down most city streets.
You know, there's something about this beaver guy I like. I don't think he's lame at all.

The woods is dangerous like any other area on earth. The question is, as always, a matter of degree. Your home is safe unless....... Danger arises from its' primary source of unpreparedness. I don't worry about wolves because I have one with me to warn me and defend me; and I, him, with hot lead.

I agree that down most city streets you are in greater peril than in the woods because most feral animals are afraid of you. The feral animals on the streets of most cities have no fear of you. I've run into three such animals in my life. There were other encounters but those animals ran away. The three that had no fear were mistaken in their boldness. Two were cut and one was shot. I didn't kill any of them. That wasn't my intent. I moved out of the city because I figured that I was getting too old to live there. Sooner or later, I would have failed.

The woods is totally different because I know that I am the top dog. In Vietnam there was a bastardised quote from the bible that read: Lo, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest Motherfu**** in the valley.

It's like that in the woods. You're man. Nothing will mess with you unless it can find an advantage. Be prepared.

oldsarge

[QUOTEI won't get into the issue of personal protection, but I will say I believe you are probably safer in the wilderness than you are walking or driving down most city streets.[/QUOTE]

I agree to Both you and Dinosaur's recent post. There is some much to learned from folks like you on these forums. With a well rounded field of experience, your suggestions and comments are well thought out and highly informative.

I have to say that I am not a world internet Guru and haven't been on all the outdoor websites. It seems like I've experience both ends of the spectrum here by finding sites that are run by either hardcore tree huger types or the fanatical gun laden survivalist. But this site really has a good mix of folks to bring to light a good level of knowledge to facilitate everyone.

Thanks!

ppine

Forester
This is a thought provoking thread. I see safety as relative, and depends a lot on where you are. Working in SE Alaska as an example, is a place with daily encounters with bears, wading fast rivers, and falling down about once per hour. There are wolves, wolverines, and a really cold and wet climate far from any help.

Urban environments definitely have their own perils, but most people are adapted to them, and deal with them as part of their daily routine. Using disease statistics are not really relevant because it takes a lifetime for the mortality to show up. I would make the point that remote wild countlry should never be taken lightly. Keep your wits about you where ever you are. People that have been 50 miles from the nearest dirt road know I am talking about.

Looked at another way, most people get killed in urban environments because that is where they spend 99 % of their time, not because it is much more dangerous. I have been assigned work partners in places like Alaska that were accidents waiting to happen because they were way out of their comfort zone.

Last edited:

Lamebeaver

OK, let's all have a big group hug (yes, I'm kidding)

For the record, I'm not anti-gun or anti-hunting. When I first started backpacking, I always had a .45 fastened to the side of my pack. It took me awhile to realize I was much safer in the wilderness than I was driving to the trailhead.

I still prefer the taste of venison to beef, and I get the whole, self-determination/self-defense thing, I just don't want to give people the idea that the woods is a dangerous place.

Last edited:

Grandpa

OK, let's all have a big group hug (yes, I'm kidding)

For the recored, I'm not anti-gun or anti-hunting. When I first started backpacking, I always had a .45 fastened to the side of my pack. It took me awhile to realize I was much safer in the wilderness than I was driving to the trailhead.

I still prefer the taste of venison to beef, and I get the whole, self-determination/self-defense thing, I just don't want to give people the idea that the woods is a dangerous place.
I agree, the woods is not a dangerous place, ....if..... you abide by natures rules. When in bear country, good bear ettiquette is essential. But if you leave a peanut butter sandwich in your tent you have a good chance of visiting Ponderosa professionally. I never did carry a firearm in the wilderness, except when actually hunting. However, not everyone else has shown good sense with wild animals. Coyotes begging in the campground, cougars coming up to be petted, humanized bears and protected wolves have changed the rules. People need to be aware of the dangers, take appropriate steps, avoid certain no no's and then enjoy the beauty of the wilderness.

Pathfinder1

I agree. However, not everyone else has shown good sense with wild animals. Coyotes begging in the campground, cougars coming up to be petted, humanized bears and protected wolves have changed the rules. People need to be aware of the dangers, take appropriate steps, avoid certain no no's and then enjoy the beauty of the wilderness.

Hi...

How true.

One thing that I think deserves mention is that those animals can move INCREDIBLY FAST...!! You "think" you can make friends with it, or try to feed it, then WHAM...it's on top of you...!! In the blink of an eye, five claws can be ripping you apart...!!

It doesn't work that way (chipmonks excepted).