Small Game

hiking_and_biking

Exactly what qualifies an animal as "small game"? Is there a specific size or weight range? Which are the easiest to hunt and catch? Which taste the best?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Check with your DNR for small game classifications. In Indiana small game includes upland birds. The entire list is Mourning Dove,Woodcock,Pheasant, Quail,Ruffed Grouse, Rabbit, Squirrel, turtles, Crow, and frogs.

All of the birds are delicious. Rabbit and squirrel are excellent stewed or roasted. Both make an excellent chili and squirrel makes great sloppy joes.

Turtles make a wonderful stew but you have to know how to clean them. And frog legs? You don't know what you're missing unless you have some.

Lamebeaver

Some grouse and ptarmigan you can hit in the head with a stick. Rabbits and squirels are relatively easy. The birds require a bit of skill, and for some a dog make things a lot more productive. Turtles are hard to catch, unless you catch one out in the open (and some, such as painted turtles are illegal). Frogs are relatively easy. Crows are smart, and hunting them is quite a challenge. Can't say I've ever eaten a crow.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Turtles are hard to catch.
Can't say I've ever eaten a crow.
Turtles are actually pretty easy. You hook and line them with a steel leader and a no.2 hook. Kill a shad or a four inch bluegill for bait and let it sink to the bottom. We use 150lb. test nylon chord for the line and tie it off to a tree or a steel post pounded into the ground. This is my preferred method, but there are many others.

Oh, and crow tastes just like chicken.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I was talking about young crow. And Old Crow isn't stringy but it will sneak up on you if blended with Coca Cola.

Check with your DNR for small game classifications. In Indiana small game includes upland birds. The entire list is Mourning Dove,Woodcock,Pheasant, Quail,Ruffed Grouse, Rabbit, Squirrel, turtles, Crow, and frogs.

All of the birds are delicious. Rabbit and squirrel are excellent stewed or roasted. Both make an excellent chili and squirrel makes great sloppy joes.

Turtles make a wonderful stew but you have to know how to clean them. And frog legs? You don't know what you're missing unless you have some.
Do you have a recipe for rabbit and/or squirrel stew? I keep hearing about how good these two are in stews, but I've never come across a recipe!

How do you clean the turtles for stew?

dinosaur

troublemaker
How do you clean the turtles for stew?
Flip the turtle onto its' back and cut the bottom shell away from the top. The top should pull away easily. Do not discard. There is a a piece of meat at the top of the shell under something that looks like ribs. It is tenderloin and quite good.

You want the legs, the neck, and a part of the tail, That's where the meat is. Peel the skin and take it. It'll be messy but worth it.

Stew the meat and you're good to go.