Games when camping?

campclose

Do you play games when you camp? Kickball, Frisbee, anything? Do you involve other people in your games? Our games usually start out small and then in the end we have tripled in size. I think it’s great for the kids at the campsites to play together.

HikerJoe

I like to play a game called Hide the Trout Fillet Under Someone's Tent. It's heaps of fun in bear country. Kinda like duck duck goose because people don't know when they are going to be the guy whose tent is going to be ripped to shreds.

outdoorsy

Funny Hiker Joe! I like to smear peanut butter on tents and see which tent the bear will come to. Seriously though, we play frisbee and that is about it.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I like to play "what the hell was that!" with the kids. Keeps them quiet and in one place - usually in the tent.

vincentbstong

I like to play "what the hell was that!" with the kids. Keeps them quiet and in one place - usually in the tent.

Grandpa

Found a blonde skeleton in the woods. Determined she was last years hide and seek winner.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

state_camper

Do you play games when you camp? Kickball, Frisbee, anything? Do you involve other people in your games? Our games usually start out small and then in the end we have tripled in size. I think it’s great for the kids at the campsites to play together.
The kids play tag, Frisbee, and hide-and-go-seek when we go camping, while the adults usually play card games, or a board game when we have access to a picnic table.

CozInCowtown

I like to play with the kids the "Get The Hell Out Of Camp And Don't Come Back Till Dinner Is Ready!!" game.
Let'em roam the wilderness awhile and discover the great outdoors.
Very entertaining and educational.
DC

DThewanderer

We like to take a net and play volleyball. There have been many times that other people have seen us play and wanted to join in. It is great to get to know some of the other campers that way.

WildRover

We like to play "who can build the biggest stack of firewood". It rates right up there with "how fast can you pitch the tent?" and "clean the fish or starve".

ppine

Forester
I think playing games is bringing your indoor culture with you to the outdoors. There are hundreds of other things to do instead that you cannot do at home.

Some games like capture the flag or snipe hunting are different, and can only be practiced in the outdoors. Maybe if you have lots of kids, games make more sense.

When I was five my Dad taught me how to play "Let's go follow the bear tracks." I knew what I wanted to be.

Last edited:

ejdixon

I think playing games is bringing your indoor culture with you to the outdoors. There are hundreds of other things to do instead that you cannot do at home.
Not really. Sometimes, playing games is a good way to get people to learn to enjoy the outdoors. That goes double with kids. My sister used to play games like Bring Me with my nephews. It involved a bit of bribery at first (with $5 as the prize for each time that they are able to come back with what she asked), but it sure was enough to get them to put their PSPs down and actually come out and spend some time with us.:tinysmile_grin_t:

CozInCowtown

I pretty much agree, depending on the game though.
Monopoly....indoor game.
Hide-and-seek....outdoor game.
My priority is get the kids out and away.
DC

Rosie

We usually just pack a ball of some sort but we don't even always use it. During the day we do exploring. At night we sometimes play games like Mafia or we'll tell a story a sentence at a time and everyone takes turns adding on a sentence. The kids like that one.