Getting worms

limbs

I was wondering when shops start carrying worms for bait? I know most pet stores have them (even if the employees may not realize it) but of course they intend it for pet food, so it is more expensive.

ChadTower

The 24/7 part is nice. I have to buy mine the day before if I want to go early. For some reason the bait shops here open at 7am. How dumb is that?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Here in NYS you can't (legally) just go out and dig some worms or go and pick up some nightcrawlers from your lawn.

Such live bait must (legally) be purchased from certified vendors...so that you don't introduce any new bacteria (for example), into any of our waterways. So, we don't have the amount of live bait purveyors around that we used to have.

Some similar restrictions also exist here for firewood.

Geezer

The convenience stores around here don't carry them in the winter but you can get them in sportsman's shops year round. My sister-in-law is from NYC and she thought it was so strange that all the convenience stores around here sold deli tubs full of night crawlers. She thought they sold them for eating. YUM.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Hi...

Here in NYS you can't (legally) just go out and dig some worms or go and pick up some nightcrawlers from your lawn.

Such live bait must (legally) be purchased from certified vendors...so that you don't introduce any new bacteria (for example), into any of our waterways. So, we don't have the amount of live bait purveyors around that we used to have.

WOW! It must suck to be from NY.

Grandpa

Hi...

How many of your politicians are going to get re-elected this year?

Ready

How many of your politicians are going to get re-elected this year?
This would suck but I kind of understand it if they're doing it to prevent the spread of dangerous microbes. The firewood makes sense too I know there have been a lot of problems with people spreading disease from town to town by bringing in scavenged firewood.

I don't like it and yeah, I admit I'd overlook these laws but I do understand the reasoning behind them.

Grandpa

This would suck but I kind of understand it if they're doing it to prevent the spread of dangerous microbes. The firewood makes sense too I know there have been a lot of problems with people spreading disease from town to town by bringing in scavenged firewood.

I don't like it and yeah, I admit I'd overlook these laws but I do understand the reasoning behind them.
If it was preventing problems, but more than likely someones brother in law has the worm franchise and his cousin has the firewood dealership.

We had a big pine beatle outbreak in one of the canyons and they opened it for firewood cutting. I hauled a bunch of those big Douglas Firs out. The beatle larva never had a chance in my wood stove. WIN WIN

What are they going to do with infested trees? Let them stand and let the beatles hatch and fly away to lay their eggs in the next county over? LOSE LOSE

oldmangunner

Thanks for sharing

Hi...

Thanks for sharing! I had no idea that you had to get certified worms in New York. If I ever go fishing there I will make sure not to bring my own worms. I wouldn't want to get thrown in jail for the misuse of worms.

Grandpa

Thanks for sharing! I had no idea that you had to get certified worms in New York. If I ever go fishing there I will make sure not to bring my own worms. I wouldn't want to get thrown in jail for the misuse of worms.
Thats good, getting thrown in jail for using "hot" worms. Reminds me of a guy down in Utah a few years ago. He had a couple of nursing homes. Those old folks drank a lot of coffee. He got thrown in jail for serving them "hot" coffee. Seems he found someone smuggling coffee into the US to avoid the tariffs. Of course it wasn't about migrating microbes, but all about the money.

KeikoOka

You guys are too funny. Still, that is news to me. Is New York the only state that has regulations about buying worms from certified dealers? How about crossing state lines with worms, is that illegal in most places?

Miley

I had no idea about worm laws in NY, either. I almost want to laugh, but I feel bad for all the NY fishermen! How would cops even know, where the worms came from? To answer the original question, we have worms year round at stores. We can even use the worms from our own yard! :)

limbs

We can use the worms from our own yard too. I understand why NY does this, but there are so many other places that could use the same attention. Cracking down on industry and making sure companies can not buy themselves out of illegal dumping situations would be good to. I know they already give that attention, but if I were in charge there would be severe jail penalties for the people who own AND run industries that dump illegally.