Tiny ATVs

limbs

My neighbors 5 year old son was riding a tiny ATV. I thought it was a toy, but his dad said he paid good money for it because it was the real thing. Do they really make ATVs for 5 year olds?

carmen

Yes they do, our kids have some. We actually found a used one in amazing condition for a few hundred dollars. The only thing it actually needed was a better seat, we swapped it out and its good as new (and its about 4 years old).

DMan

It's amazing what they have available for kids now. And you know although some people might think they're too young to ride at that age, I think it's the right age as long as they're taught how to ride safely.

Lamebeaver

When I was a kid, dinosaurs still roamed the earth. My favorite toy was a rock. If you wanted to introduce a girl to your parents, you hit her over the head with a club and dragged her back to the cave.

back2nature

I can't imagine getting an ATV for a five-year old. At least not for most five-year olds with their short attention spans and daredevil natures. Aren't you afraid he will get hurt?

LoveTheWater

I would be afraid of the same thing. Not all 5 year olds are created equal! Some might be fine with one and always be careful while others have a tendency to show off and forget that they are on a real vehicle.

love2hike

So, these ATVs that are made for children, do they have a full-sized motor in them, like adult-sized ATVs? Do they reach the same speeds that adult ATVs reach? Are there any additional safety features on them or are they exact, miniature replicas of the full-sized models?

plsargent

It depends on the kids, with my son we got him his first atv at age 2 and rode on it with him for about a year or so then let him ride alone with the leash ( rope attached to a kill switch). Now he rides all over by himself with us watching.

My daughter on the other hand is almost 5 and we still won't let her ride because she won't listen worth poo.

Stargazer

I think I would rather wait until my son has grown enough to ride a bigger ATV. I can't really afford to replace one every time he has a growth spurt.

Grandpa

Hi...

When my sister was five years old, our father gave her a box of Band Aids and gave me a box of broken glass. He told us to go play.

Next year he put up a swing for us...attached to the side of the house.
That was indeed thoughtful of your parents.

When I went out to play, My parents moved away.