Flexible Waterproof Containers?

Barney

I need some reliable waterproof containers that can flex and adapt to the shape of my backpack and gear in it. I use Aloksak bags at the moment. Any better suggestion?

back2nature

I'm sketchy about anything made of flexible plastic. The chemicals used to make the plastic soft leach into the water and no one knows what they do to people when ingested. It's never been fully tested to know what long-term chronic exposure might do.

littlefire

I didn't even know they made something that could form to your pack; what a brilliant invention. I also didn't know you couldn't reuse certain "plastics". :(

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have two 2-gallon collapsible buckets with flexible strap handles. These work very well and can be hung from anything that will support the weight.

For carrying liquids during the day, I use a bota.

Barney

I need some reliable plastic bags that can take a lot of abuse while riding in my pack with other stuff. I used to wrap them with Gorilla tape but that way I can't see the content.

Grandpa

I get multiple uses out of the gallon zipper type zip lock bags for clothes etc that I want to keep dry.

Barney

Actually I've used similar bags in the past but I wasn't impressed with their durability in the long run. Most of them are thin and will fail easily under stress.

IndianaHiker

Actually I've used similar bags in the past but I wasn't impressed with their durability in the long run. Most of them are thin and will fail easily under stress.
Ran into that as well with other bags at Walmart Barney. However the one in the link is very thick. They also have some that come in a three pack those are paper thin.

ChadTower

Freezer bags are generally not water tight. They'll probably do in a pack but I can tell you from long experience they won't do in a cooler.

I like dry bags for this as IndianaHiker said. They come in all sizes and you can push out the air to make them smaller or you can capture air to make them bigger (it makes them float). The only major downside is that if they get hot they redistribute any moisture inside. If you put in anything with any moisture then everything inside will be a little damp later on.

ppine

Forester
I used to do lots of water quality sampling. Bottles and containers originally designed for lab work are sure not to leach into your drinking water. I lke anything with "Nalgene" stamped on it, like the collapsible "Platypus."

Newanderthal

Walmart bags have been working fine for me for about 5 years now. I occasionally test them for leaks (fill one with water and close it. hang upside down for a few minutes).

Clothing goes in one, food in another, sleeping bag in a third
small junk goes in ziploc bags
everything is contained and organized by use

the food bag goes in the tree at night (to keep me from snacking as much as to keep away the bears)

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I have a 2 liter walmart reservoir as my "dirty water" filter bag. It forms to the pack pretty well. As a benefit, it has a built in hose valve in the bottom, so I can fill it from the creek without the hose attached, and it doesnt run out the bottom. The bag was 9$...

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole re-using bottles thing. It seems to be a bunch of conjecture right now. Just like cancer: If you avoided everything that supposedly causes cancer, you'd starve to death.