Apple cider vinegar

monde

Do you always bring a bottle of apple cider vinegar while camping? I heard that it has many uses even before I started using it to cure myself from insect bites. I even used it on my dogs to kill and prevent ticks and fleas.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

No, I won't carry any glass containers.

Yet, cider does have some remarkable qualities: a shot of cider held on an aching tooth will sometimes greatly reduce the pain prior to seeing your dentist; applied to a sunburn it can greatly reduce the pain until medical help is available.

campclose

Seriously apple cider vinegar helps with fleas? What do I just pour it on the cat? I don't carry it but I will run to town and buy bottles of it to treat these pesky cats I have.

monde

But sir, whiskey is no apple cider vinegar. Have you tried whiskey on insect bites before? Hey campclose, I don't necessarily pour the vinegar on the pet directly, I just put one part of ACV in a bottle spray and one part of water to mix with it. Then I would spray it to my dogs' fur.

TroyS

I've heard of it, but never really tried it. Do you put it directly on the skin, or do you dilute them with water?

3ofusnow

I had never heard of using apple cider vinegar for any of these things but we are currently fighting fleas on the dog so I am going to give it a go.