Bear breaks into house for cake

Greatoutdoors

An Arizona family woke up in the middle of the night to find an orphaned black bear cub eating chocolate cake in their kitchen. Here is the story I saw about it. The bear cub is now being cared for at a local zoo. I wonder if they will feed him chocolate cake? :hungry:

Grandpa

I can see hanging the food bag on the trail but I draw the line at a hanging pantry in the house.

ghostrider

Can you imagine coming downstairs half asleep and dying for coffee, only to find a bear cub in your kitchen? That would be funny if it happened to a friend who happened to have a terrible hangover, wouldn't it?

Tubby

Well, the wife is making an Italian cream cake now. I guess I better load the gun for bear because no one is getting that cake except me. She makes hers with sour cream and it is worth guarding.

bsmit212

Can you imagine coming downstairs half asleep and dying for coffee, only to find a bear cub in your kitchen? That would be funny if it happened to a friend who happened to have a terrible hangover, wouldn't it?
Would definitely be a "What the heck did I do last night" moment. haha

ppine

Forester
Believe it or not this is a common occurence in the area around Lake Tahoe. There are lots of urban people that vacation there, and make the classic mistakes like putting out garbage in cans that are not bear-proof and even setting up feeding stations. Some of the bears have figured out how to peel the t-111 siding off the house and push the sheetrock between the studs to get into any house. They typically head to the pantry, then empty the contents of the refrigerator. Often they take a nap after the feast and are discovered by homeowners in the morning or even coming home from work.

It is an odd culture up there and I rarely go to Lake Tahoe because of the all the weirdness. The one exception is the kokanee salmon migration up Taylor Creek this month. There is a trail with an underwater viewing chamber and lots of critters feeding on the salmon. The fish turn red when they spawn and it is like Alaska in miniature. Oct is the shoulder season after the summer and before the skiers so it is a good time to go up there.

campclose

Way too funny! Makes me think twice about leaving cake in my kitchen. We have black bear on our area. I saw a momma and 2 cubs a couple of weeks ago. I hope they don't break into my house!

JeepThrills

I have had snakes, mice and bats in various houses I have lived in, but never a bear. I imagine that would be quite the experience.

P.S. I also have a peacock that lived in the garage through the winter one year.

carmen

I have friends outside of Phoenix and Tempe, the few down south from there always deal with coyotes but never a bear. We have never dealt with anyone too bad but a bear would have me with an early heart attack in a jiffy.

Gondor

The wife was probably: "C'mon honey get back to bed... surprise" :D Black bears will eat just anything if I remember correctly. There are some places where people got used to them running around their houses.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Saw a TV news item this ayem which told about black bears invading Aspen. Not enough natural feed to get the bears through hibernation, so they are coming into town en mass to scavenge and eat.

One resident...a local politico who is power wheel chair bound...told how the bear(s) learned how to operate his power door opener, and raided his home a few times. Once he said he woke up to find a bear in his bedroom...!! He yelled at the bear, who quickly ran to the refrigerator...and raided it before it left.