Mix it yourself
13 tsp salt (or salt free substitute)
4 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder

oldsarge

I like garlic salt, salt, pepper, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper and Tobasco. Mostly I just carry around the Tobasco.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I have never tried Moroccan Harira soup, but upon hearing how good both spices are for you I think I will try it. Do you know what the rest of the recipe for it is?

Sure, here you go. Doing this made me decide to make this tonight.

1 lb tomatoes
8 oz lamb cut into pieces
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter
4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 onion chopped
¼ cup split red lentils
½ cup dried chickpeas soaked overnight (I used precooked chickpeas to cut down the overall cooking time of this recipe)
¼ cup fine noodles
salt and pepper to taste

Those are the ingredients

Basically brown the meat and onions, add the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes, add the rest and simmer until tender and in the last few minutes add the noodles and cook until tender. I use a lot more cilantro than they call for and summer it in neat the end. Greens are good for you.

Eaglescout 49

In addition to the seasonings required by my preplanned menus, the camping pantry includes salt, pepper (in a grinder), sweet pimenton, Tabasco both regular and chipotle, curry powder, balsamic vinegar, anchovy paste, garlic paste and Worcestershire sauce. They usually come back unused, but come in handy if menu items turn out blander than I expected.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I'm looking forward to trying your recipe myself! What noodles do you use?
Funny you should ask Judy Ann. This is a timely question.

Girlfriend has recently gone on a sort of diet. She and her sister have discovered something called the Wheat Belly diet and both have lost weight and have become as shapely as high school girls. The diet proclaims wheat is so bad that it is elevated to an evil status among its practitioners. I still eat wheat but when it is my turn to cook for the both of us that still puts me, by my 30 year association with this soul mate of mine, on this diet too. So after several years of using noodles in this soup, I just add more lentils and chickpeas now. When noodles were used I just threw in any smaller noodle I had on hand like little bow-ties or shells or what have you.

One of the reasons I even tried this recipe was the search for new and exciting spice combinations. Some of us can get in a spice rut, making different meals but spicing them the same way over and over. I was skeptical about the spice combination of turmeric and cinnamon at first but once we tried it, it was a revelation.

Cinnamon has several known health benefits and turmeric also has many. One of the turmeric properties; It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects. So this is perfect for hikers, backpackers and other active people.