After Holiday Blues?

Gabbie

I know some people who feel really let down after Christmas is over with and just wondered how some of you feel. I think I am actually glad that it is over and done with. I do miss the spirit of it being the holiday season and everyone being so much more friendly. What about you?

Lorax

No time to sit around worrying about it. There's snowshoeing and X-country skiing to be done!

Greatoutdoors

I enjoy the holidays while they are here, but I am never really sad to see them go. My daughter is going to be heartbroken though. She is almost three, and she is not going to be happy when the tree comes down!

Grandpa

Two bad habits here and January starts prime time with the second. Got a half dozen or so bowling tournaments to go to. That makes it difficult to find time for the first, hiking.

Fox38

I miss the parties and all the fun things we do around Christmas. I don't miss fighting the crowds for gifts and spending money. We love to get out and go sledding and tubing in January!

Lucy

I used to feel that way, but that was when we were younger and were trying to put too much into the whole holiday scene. I think Americans tend to make it too much of a production.

ponderosa

I love Thanksgiving and Christmas, but by New Year's I'm ready for the tree to come down. I don't have post-holiday blues, but by about the middle of February I usually have the "sick to death of winter" blues.

Lamebeaver

I don't think it's so much that people are let down after Christmas and they are disappointed that Christmas doesn't meet their expectations. Uncle Joe gets in a big argument with Aunt Beth, the kids are constantly fighting with each other, and now you have to face all those bills.

Keep your expectations low, your gifts simple and just go with the flow and things usually work out much better.

And also, it helps to remmember that all that crap, gifts, parties, etc. have absolutely nothing to do with the celebration of Christmas.

The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

wvbreamfisherman

I don't know that it's much of a letdown for me that Christmas has come and gone. I do get a bit down looking forward to a long dreary winter, but there is always stuff to do. I have some writing I want to work on and some pictures I want to sketch, etc.

It's all part of the cycle of things.

ponderosa

Lamebeaver has a good point about keeping things simple. Christmas is only as stressful as you make it. We definitely do not over-extend ourselves financially or with calendar items either. We do all the fun things, but try to have a Christ-centered season. I know that isn't everybody's thing, but it is important to us and is the reason it's a special time of year for us. And it helps that neither of our families is crazy, thank heaven above. One of my sisters has in-laws that are so crazy every holiday or family event becomes an exercise in patience and stress management. Not fun.

LoveTheWater

We also try to have a stress free Christmas as possible and not go overboard. The kids like the tree and all the presents, etc. but we pretty much are fine once it is over with. There always seems to be other things coming along to take it's place.

MountainMan22

I guess you would miss the gatherings with family and friends, but there are still other occasions for that stuff. We get Christmas for basically over a month as far as the atmosphere goes. After Thanksgiving until the New Year it seems to last.

ppine

Forester
That's why we have winter tent parties. The greatest event in this part of the country is the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko, NV, Jan 28-Feb 4, 2012. It is an annual event since 1985.

By mid Feb we have some good days for hiking or xc skiing.