Asperger's and hiking

limbs

My friend has a son with Asperger's, the kid has the worst time at school. Other children bully him and the teachers are largely uneducated about Aspergers. The interesting thing is that when this kid gets out in nature he is brilliant. He makes a better hiking partner than most adults I know. Why do you think he is so much better when in nature?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Regarding the bullying...get thee to the nearest police officer...and your attorney. Be sure to document any instances of bullying. Bullying must NOT be tolerated, under any circumstances...especially since the teachers cannot but notice that this is happening. Reporting it to school officials only too frequently will mean that such reports do not leave the school.

Teachers may not know much about Asperger's...but most of them DO know when a child is not/can not conform to whatever others deem appropriate...or when a child needs special help.

Some school higher-ups are only concerned with making sure the child gets through the class and into the next grade when his classmates do.

Greatoutdoors

Perhaps he does better in nature because the pressure is off. Isn't Asperger's a form of autism? Maybe being in an outdoor environment without the rigidity of a classroom setting puts him at ease.

harmony

It is possible he does better outdoors in nature because all the extra stimulation of normal life is removed. The noise, movement, cluttered environment, etc. of a typical school can be very distracting and frustrating for people who have Asperger's or ADHD.

ponderosa

I don't have an explanation, but I know of three boys with Aspergers who are brilliant hikers. One little guy was doing tough ten mile backpacking days when he was seven years old, and loving every step. He's a skinny 13 year old now, and can out-hike the vast majority of adults, with a full pack.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
My friend has a son with Asperger's, the kid has the worst time at school. Other children bully him and the teachers are largely uneducated about Aspergers. The interesting thing is that when this kid gets out in nature he is brilliant. He makes a better hiking partner than most adults I know. Why do you think he is so much better when in nature?
We have a couple of scouts with Asperger's and have noticed the same thing. My oldest has Sensory Processing Disorder (on the same spectrum as Asperger's and Autism) and he loves to be outside too. In general, these kids like the preprioceptive input. In English, this means the motions and impact of the joints while walking/moving provides them position feedback. School is hard for them because their bodies feel strange when they are not moving and most schools have lots of sitting. It is OK for them to enjoy moving while outside so they don't have that stress of "am I going to get in trouble for this".

Also, hiking gives them some off time from all the sensory input around us. We are used to the noise everywhere but for some kids it is really hard to filter out one noise to give attention to another. For example, if the air conditioner is clicking, my son will have hard time remembering anything the teacher says. He will remember the click, click, click, click of the air conditioner. What is really neat is how they experience the hike different than you or I. After a long hike I can ask my son what was his favorite part and he will usually tell me something I didn't expect like "the wind on my skin".

As with any challenge, some kids are different than others. For some of these kids being outside is hard since it is "open" and they like more confined spaces.I have found a short 2 mile walk is like a reset button for my son. It's great that your friend has found a place where his boy can feel at ease.

back2nature

Asperger's syndrome doesn't affect intelligence. The main symptom of most forms of autism is lack of social skills. You don't need a whole lot of social skills to hike or fish.

ChadTower

Asperger's syndrome doesn't affect intelligence. The main symptom of most forms of autism is lack of social skills. You don't need a whole lot of social skills to hike or fish.

I frequently work with autistic children and team with special education teachers on a regular basis. This is just not correct.

There are Asperger's kids on all ranges of the intelligence scale. They also have all ranges of motor skills, language skills, and pretty much anything else that typical people can have.

Every kid on the autism spectrum, just like any other person, is a completely unique set of variables. Each individual must be evaluated and managed in a way specifically catered to the individual's strengths and weaknesses. That is why autism is such a resource intensive issue. Every kid is a complete discovery process with a custom educational path.

rayne

It's the freedom from structure I think. I know a 7th grader with Asperger's and he is very smart. However, there are some things in school that he doesn't like and he just refuses to do. He doesn't cause trouble or disturb others. He just won't do! Nature offers no such restrictions.