Bear Grylls Survival Kit

southerngal

I saw this when I was looking at knives online the other day and I think I saw one in Walmart. Might be pretty good stuff but it did seem to be overpriced for what you get.

oldsarge

"Build the perfect survival kit" By John D. McCann, Krause publications. Once a celebrity puts their name on anything, the price goes up. Check out this book and I guarantee you will end up with something more useful then what Bear Grylls is using. This book was written with the intent of evaluating, re-evaluating and refining different types of kits and their components for any given situation. It is a well thought out book well worth the money. The biggest issue with any kit is that if you don't take it out and put it through the paces, you'll never know where it will fail you.

Bear Grylls also put his name on the Gerber knife used in the show. Trust me...there are better knives around than what he's using.

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

There's no doubt the man knows his stuff. However, anyone that's in a REAL survival situation and does the stupid stuff Grylls does (climb down waterfalls, swim icy lochs, run down steep slopes, float down a mountain stream with an inflated skin as a float, etc, etc.) is simply asking to get badly hurt. A LOT of the stuff on the show is staged for "demonstration" (read: shock) value.

There is a pretty good article on Field and Stream's page about assembling a survival kit:

I used this article as the basis for the kit I carry whenever I'm doing something out of sight of the road, which fits in a small belt pouch.

Valdaree

I've seen some of his TV programmes too and I wasn't impressed. He is such a drama queen! I saw a report that he'd stayed in a luxury hotel in one place where he was claiming to be sleeping outdoors!

Michael

For that amount of money, you could put together a kit that's more well suited for you and your situation. Honestly, the thing I like the most about that kit is the bag it comes in.

WalkingMan

@wvbreamfisherman-You have that right. I hope I never have to do any of the stupid stunts he does on the show. You are right about the show being done for shock value. IF you are used to being outdoors, unless you are very, very slow, you would never be in most of the situations he is in. Every time I watch that show I keep thinking "Indiana Jones would be proud". LOL

woodsman

Now than the man has his crew check every stunt, than he has them film it and he acts like he is making things up as he is goes, ask yourself do you really want to use something with his name on it? These things are for people who know next to nothing about wilderness survival and would probably not even know how to use the tools in the first place.

southerngal

Now than the man has his crew check every stunt, than he has them film it and he acts like he is making things up as he is goes, ask yourself do you really want to use something with his name on it? These things are for people who know next to nothing about wilderness survival and would probably not even know how to use the tools in the first place.
Love that! It's all about branding and selling products. My husband and I have said that a million times watching the show...it's great entertainment but as far as survival goes if you try that junk you will NOT be a survivor for long.

3ofusnow

I saw this supposed "survival kit" at a sporting goods store and could not believe the cost for what you were getting. You could put together a much better kit for less money on your own!

oldsarge

"Build the perfect survival kit" By John D. McCann, Krause publications. Once a celebrity puts their name on anything, the price goes up. Check out this book and I guarantee you will end up with something more useful then what Bear Grylls is using. This book was written with the intent of evaluating, re-evaluating and refining different types of kits and their components for any given situation. It is a well thought out book well worth the money. The biggest issue with any kit is that if you don't take it out and put it through the paces, you'll never know where it will fail you.

Bear Grylls also put his name on the Gerber knife used in the show. Trust me...there are better knives around than what he's using.
Try to locate this book through your local library, I am sure you will like what it has to say. It pretty much sums up everything I have been reading about survival kits.

greentea

I don't know about the kit but I saw a video about the Bear Grylls Survivor Knife on youtube, apparently it works as long as you don't try to chop wood with it, which wouldn't be such a big problem if it weren't one of it's sails pitches.

oldsarge

My idea of a Bear Grylls survival kit would be a Sat phone to call for help and morphine to kill the pain until help arrives after pulling some of the hair brained stunts he's pulled. I admit he has quite a reputation in the military world and does possess skills, I just don't see trying to push the limits when try to survive is the issue at hand.

ryoga-kun

No serious outdoor survival person takes Bear Grylls seriously.
He gives a bad name to special operations people everywhere.

oldsarge

He gives a bad name to special operations people everywhere.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that, he has served his country and was in the SAS. He has done some amazing stuff in his life. I admit his show has a lot to be desired, some good, some not so good. Nothing he does reflects on special operations.

ryoga-kun

I wouldn't go as far as saying that, he has served his country and was in the SAS. He has done some amazing stuff in his life. I admit his show has a lot to be desired, some good, some not so good. Nothing he does reflects on special operations.
I don't doubt his service or any of his achievements but to advertise it as the source of his training and then go off doing all kinds of dangerous/highly-not-recommended stuff out in the field and attribute it to his special forces (SAS) training does make the special operations community look bad.

Michael

My idea of a Bear Grylls survival kit would be a Sat phone to call for help and morphine to kill the pain until help arrives after pulling some of the hair brained stunts he's pulled.
Don't forget the professional guides that show him the area, the crew that spend 2 weeks scouting out places to shoot, a crew of a half dozen people that follow him at all times, and lots of safety gear.

Oh, and the key to a motel room. (;

oldsarge

I don't doubt his service or any of his achievements but to advertise it as the source of his training and then go off doing all kinds of dangerous/highly-not-recommended stuff out in the field and attribute it to his special forces (SAS) training does make the special operations community look bad.
I guess it's how you look at it. Look at Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury, the "Dual Survival guys". One guy (Cody) is a civilian minded Aboriginal based survivalist. Never take a chance if you don't have to, then Dave is a veteran with military training, who will at times take chances. Not the same kinds of chances as Bear Grylls but will push the limits as Cody would see it. Point being, Bear Grylls special forces background is pretty much based on the dangerous lifestyle of the special operations soldier. Military survival training also takes into account the factor that you have people out there hunting you down to kill or capture you. Good reason why to take chances. Personally I think Bear Grylls is showing what can be done, not what should be done. Kind of like blowing his own horn if you will, "look what I can do". I am NOT a special operations operator, but I have worked, trained and have instructed them on many occasions. I have witnessed some pretty wild stuff. I still don't think his action make the community look bad. If anything, there are probably a bunch sitting around watching and laughing at how Bear manage to make a buck off all his training...and getting some dumb ass to drink water from elephant dung to boot!

Refrigerator

I have never watched any of those shows and survival what ever they call it...If it's a buck then it's not genuine. If want a real experience in the wilds go out there and DO IT yourself no matter where it is it will be your survival...experience and all your...not a show and not made to sell.

I live to backpack and I live well. My motto and I live by it.

Those shows are set to make money and edited just for you to keep watching....almost like facebook games...get hooked and there isn't a 12 step program out there to help you. But do go and get outdoors yourself and make your own experience REAL. Now that living...and worth getting hooked on.

ryoga-kun

I guess it's how you look at it. Look at Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury, the "Dual Survival guys". One guy (Cody) is a civilian minded Aboriginal based survivalist. Never take a chance if you don't have to, then Dave is a veteran with military training, who will at times take chances. Not the same kinds of chances as Bear Grylls but will push the limits as Cody would see it. Point being, Bear Grylls special forces background is pretty much based on the dangerous lifestyle of the special operations soldier. Military survival training also takes into account the factor that you have people out there hunting you down to kill or capture you. Good reason why to take chances. Personally I think Bear Grylls is showing what can be done, not what should be done. Kind of like blowing his own horn if you will, "look what I can do". I am NOT a special operations operator, but I have worked, trained and have instructed them on many occasions. I have witnessed some pretty wild stuff. I still don't think his action make the community look bad. If anything, there are probably a bunch sitting around watching and laughing at how Bear manage to make a buck off all his training...and getting some dumb ass to drink water from elephant dung to boot!
Actually being a former military person myself, only idiots would choose to do such silly stuff especially if there are safer alternatives. This guy's just doing it for a show. Seriously. You can try some high risk far from friendly forces where MEDEVAC may not be feasible and then break a leg. Your team needs a guy on his feet performing the mission, not another casualty who got broke doing something stupid.
Or in more every day terms, you do something stupid, you break your leg very badly, you get medically discharged and you realize there isn't a market for a shooter who can't walk up a flight of stairs without holding onto the hand rail.
I think some veterans like to do some of the riskier stuff when around civilians to try to impress or something. Or for TV, live up to the stereotype.
I'm with refrigerator. These shows are shows. They're designed to keep you watching.