Bottled water or Campground water?

Gabbie

When you are going to a campground to camp for a few days, do you prefer to bring your own water or do you use what the campground provides? We have been to some places where the water wasn't to bad, but then others........it was awful. So unless it is a place we have been to and know what kind of water they have, we will usually bring our own, although it can take up space.

T

tentrus

I never go camping without a lot of bottled water. We hike all over the place when we camp so we need bottles of water to take with us. If we try the water and it is not bad, then we will refill our bottles of water at the campground.

Tubby

Same here. I don't trust the water sources that are available until I see what is available. I ALWAYS take my filter with me. You never know where the local water is coming from.

KatieMarie

Unless we are going some where we have been before and know the water is good there, we will bring some with us. It's just good to be prepared, I say and water is something you always need.

briansnat

Platnium Member
If the campground water tastes good, no reason not to go with it. If it doesn't taste good I have my filter.

If we have a cooler along I use frozen water bottles instead of ice, but we generally only drink that water on the last day.

southerngal

We take water with us, but I wouldn't be opposed to using campground water. Our water at home is so bad I kind of forget you can drink it out of the tap! ;)

I always bring water with me camping, because we do a lot of hiking. Also, most of the time we camp in primitive areas. I would drink campground water, but I would make sure it tasted okay first.

Cottontail

I always bring a lot of my own water until I see what's to be had where I'm going. In a pinch, though, I'll drink almost anything.

Cappy

WE are right with ya Cottontail:tinysmile_shy_t: We figure for 1 gallon of water per person per day. We use it for drinking, cooking, coffee. But in survival mode, we drink what ever usuall boiling anything questionable first.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

FreeWilly

I will bring several jugs of filtered water if I'm going camping. If that runs out, it's usually okay, because there is always a store in the campground, or one nearby that I can pick up some bottled water.

ejdixon

I always drink bottled water whenever I go camping. I'd rather be on the safe side, even if it means that I have to spend a little bit more. It sure beats having to worry about getting sick while camping.

Grandpa

We take a cooler with bottled water when traveling but drink whats there when we arrive. But then we are near the top of the aquifer and with a filter, never had a problem.

ponderosa

I can't ever remember having a problem with the water from the campground spigot. If I were concerned for some reason, I'd just use the same filter I use backpacking (it's always in the gear box since our camping trips invariably include hiking). The only time we haul water for a drive-in campground is when the water is off or non-existant.

Eaglescout 49

I bring a 5-gallon Rubbermaid water cooler filled with filtered tap water. Just in case, I also have my Katadyn filter from my much-missed backpacking days. We also have two quarts of tonic water for libations.

It's all probably unnecessary (except for the tonic water), since North Dakota state parks and Theodore Roosevelt National Park, our preferred campgrounds, all have good tap water.

Gentle Ben 1957

We always take water, 5 gallon bladders full. Use a filter on streams and lakes. If you don't have a filter or a way to boil the water, try to get your water from the top of a pooled area. This acts as a natural settling basin for some of the bad boys that ruin your day. People give me a hard time about the amount of water I bring. That's fine, I'll trade a quart for their LL Bean jacket when the time comes.

I don't take the 5 gallon bladder in the back pack.

I did a trip with a friend where we put the empty bladder in his back pack and filled it with water. We drank from this as we traveled to the base of Chisos Mountains. I wouldn't do it again. However, when we got on top of the mountiains, the creek we were depending on was dry. The extra water literally saved us. Lose something else, you can't have too much water.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

If I was going to be in a campground I was unfamiliar with, I would bring some of my own tap water with me. Again. just in case.

I've drank water from two spigots (they call them hydrants in Castle Valley) that were about a hundred yards apart. Only one of them had water that was drinkable, taste-wise.