Bright vs. Subdued Eqipment Colors ?

Barney

When in the wild do you prefer bright colors of your gear or do you like more to blend in with the surroundings? As an example colors would be bright orange vs. olive drab or similar.

Gondor

I personally prefer bright colors because what stands out against the green surroundings can't easily be lost. I had a lot of green and black stuff in the past - now I don't anymore. Catch my drift?

oldsarge

After having an abundance of cammo left over from the old Army days, I would use that for all my hiking and Geocaching adventures. Years of training to blend in and not be seen was awkward to break. I now know the importance of clothing that stands out a little. I prefer to be seen, especially if I end up lost, hurt or both. I'm not saying to dress like a clown, but having something that contrasts to all the earth tones I think is a wise way to go. I'm speaking primarily of shirts, jackets or rain gear, I still like my old cammo pants. You can get them cheap, they hold up and I like the cargo pockets!

Refrigerator

I use bright colors on all my trips in Alaska and any places that is off the beaten path. If you have ever had to fill out a trip itinerary with the Forest or Park service, they ask you questions about color of your gear just in case you need to place in the open for a fly by search team.

Now lets go to Alaska August 2011.....message me

outdoorlover001

i prefer subdued colors beacuase i like to blend with my surroundings, that also goes for my vehicle if i'm 4 wheeling-- there has been more than 1 instance of having to walk out and go back after what i'm driving. It is easier to hide it this way because there are some around here who will take your stuff or vandalize it.

Bambi

I like to combine both. The more subdued colors for clothing don't show dirt so much, and the bright colors stand out so you can be seen and found if necessary.

Lorax

I buy whatever quality gear is on sale. That usually means "last year's" or an off color that wasn't selling.

There's times I'm going down the trail looking like the Partridge family bus.

Chippin

I use a lot of bright colors when I'm out and walking about in the woods. You just never know what people will do. Even though I love the look of those camouflage coats and pants, to some drunk guy, you may as well be an invisible deer.

striker

If I were to go say hunting than blending in with the surroundings would be a good idea, but if I'm off exploring and get lost cameo gear would decrease the chances of me getting rescued, a lot.

BCBabe

My tent and my jacket are of rather intense colors; one tarp is blue, the other white, and I'll take whichever is the more visible for the season.

Otherwise, I'm not that fussy.

woodsman

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst I guess. Nobody plans to get lost and nobody thinks that it can happen to them yet it sometimes does. All my gear is brightly colored, I look like a Christmas decoration, but who cares.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
Anytime I go into a area where I think it possible to get lost I always carry a compus and a alcheapo plastic blaze orange vest and lots of matches. Getting lost in a 1000 acre state forest while dressed in camo for archery hunting is not my idea of fun. While on a search and rescue team we looked for 6 hours for a guy before finding him unconscious laying face down in brown leaves with camo on, he had had a heart attack while walking out of the woods. We had walked by him twice fairly close, every since I always wear a orange peice of clothing while moving around. By the way, he has recovered completly.

My camping gear is generally bright colored.

Last edited:

Barney

I see this question has raised various opinions. Sometimes there is no choice of color with gear so you buy what you need. But I will usually buy both color versions if I like the product enough. When I hike and explore I use bright colors. But I have subdued versions as well that gravitate to olive drab and black in case of traveling through a country where I would likely be under attack and where I need to pass unnoticed. Maybe a little too much to think about but otherwise life would be boring... :)

Refrigerator

I have never purchased Gear by color. Only for function and or price. Pretty colors are just that....pretty in the eyes of the beholder.
Some of my High Altitude gear has bright colors due to the fact the quality name brand sets it up that way for visibility for a rescue.

I use to go camo and all that but realized I was the only one fighting my war so I surrendered and made peace with Nature and now I am having real adventures in my life without the worry about who or what is out there.

pastalove

I wouldnt go for bright colours as they can get quite dirty and its easy to be seen... So if you are into bird watching as well as othe raminals, too bright colours could be harmful.
What about some camo pants and shirts, they are great because they can get dirty as well without any problems.

Qweetzy

I prefer to stand out if I'm camping in the woods. I don't want to be napping during the day and some guy who doesn't know what he's doing, shoot me before he identifies what I am because he sees movement. But then I usually don't hunt, I just hike and camp.

sherbearski

For the most part I buy my gear for it's quality, durability and affordability, not because it is a certain color. However, there are few items, such as, guy wires for my tent, and basically anything small that I might lay down on the ground, that I prefer to buy in bright colors. If i can't find them in bright colors I like to wrap brightly colored duct tape around them so i can find/see them easily.