Bug Spray

Northern Dancer

4405 NORTHERN GIANT HORNET

BUG SPRAY Not a new topic but one that is timely in terms of the latest trends.

Latest trends?
Part of the answer is where you live and what's changed in your area.
In my neck of the woods, there are 17 invasive insects and numerous plants and freshwater pests.
Have you checked to see what's happening in your area?

There are about 700 species of ants, about 35 species of bees, and about 30 species of wasps in the United States.
Each year, wounds delivered by stinging insects account for more than ½ million visits to emergency rooms.

HOW DOES ONE PLAN?

ONE
It's important to research the area that you plan to camp and canoe in.
Our Governments have all kinds of resources, as well as Provincial/State Parks and a variety of other organizations and associations.
Parks and popular campsites often post "bug" counts and conditions and provide other information so you have an idea of what you might be facing. These resources are on the net - and they are free.

TWO
Pay attention to the clothing and the colours you wear. Blacks and reds attract biting insects.
You might need a "bug jacket" or other kinds of body protection.
Camp shoes/boots should be worn to protect your feet and especially your ankles.
Stay on well-marked trails and camp in designated campsites.
I now carry a tick-removal kit in my pack.
If you have a dog you will need to have one for your pet.

THREE
This is the tricky one.
[For this article, I'm targeting the adult population.]
You have to use the appropriate insect repellent.
Please - "banana peals rubbed on your face" may sound like a good remedy but it doesn't work.
Use tested and proven methods to protect yourself.

A recommended defense is DEET.
DEET is effective against a variety of invertebrates, including ticks, flies, mosquitos, and some parasitic worms.
DEET was developed in 1944 by Samuel Gertler of the United States Department of Agriculture for use by the United States Army, following its experience of jungle warfare during World War II.
It entered military use in 1946 and civilian use in 1957.

PICARIDIN is another recommended defense.
Caridin, also commonly known as picaridin, is an insect repellent that was developed by Bayer and first sold under the trade name Beyrepel.
In 2005 the trade name was changed to Saltidin.
Picaridin is proven to be effective and is potentially a better alternative at fending off ticks and is superior to many other repellents when it comes to protection.

:Yell: THE BOTTOM LINE
DO YOUR RESEARCH and THOROUGHY READ LABELS.

Be realistic and sensible when using products of any kind.
Select the best time of the year to camp to avoid an abundance of insects.

Last edited: