Camping to save money

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
X2!!! My tent and linens are cleaner than a cheap motel and taking my dog with me saves me $40 in boarding fees nightly. My 3L platypus bladder does double duty as a shower backpacking and a couple of Arizona Tea gallon containers set out in the sun during the day allows me enough warm water to shower and wash hair if car camping. A quick visit to the Farmer's Market and the butcher shop on the way out of town and I'm golden for 24+ hours until I need more ice.

Two more weeks until the next trip! :cheer2:
You have a great system and take care of everything well! Its good to be independent and self contained.

Its a good time to be about out there.

Judy Ann

Ghostdog, My system has been honed by others and I just borrow from their experiences. Why reinvent the wheel? I'm looking forward to learning more from you too! I'm still trying to break free from car camping and learning to become more proficient in backpacking, but I'm a little skeptical about doing that adventure with just my old dog! Scared silly would be more accurate!!!

briansnat

Platnium Member
I've been camping to save money since I was in my 20's. I recall going to Cape Cod, and later, Bar Harbor Me with my then girlfriend and camping. Back then it was like 6 or 7 bucks a night for a campsite and 40 or 50 for a motel. That was quite a savings.

I still do it today. My wife and I use a campground as a place to stay the evening before launching a backpacking or paddling trip, and sometimes when we are traveling we use a campground. We're going to Indiana for Geowoodstock (a huge gathering of Geocachers) around Memorial Day weekend and booked a motel for 4 nights at something like $80 a night. Then we considered camping and canceled the hotel and booked a campsite. Instead of spending $240 for lodging we're now spending $91. That and we can cook and eat our own food rather than eating out which saves quite a bit more.

What is interesting is how the price of a campground site has closed the gap with a night in a cheap hotel room. It used to be close to 1/10th the price and now it's nearer to 1/3.

Last edited:

Grandpa

On our recent two week trip, using either Best Western or First Choice hotels, we only went over $100 a night once. (French Quarter, New Orleans) We looked for full breakfast service, hot tubs, suites and had them most nights. We used AAA, or Senior discounts where we could.

Grandma exacts a little higher standard than I do. When I go camping and need a motel at the end of a long trek, clean sheets and a hot shower are my only requirements. I have a list of acceptable '50's and '60's era motels that may be old but provide those two criteria for $25-35 a night. My little notebook covers most of my hiking areas. However, campsites along the way may run anywhere from $0 to $10 because you won't catch me in some commercial campground and there is a lot of public land out here where you can pull off and set up shop.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Ghostdog, My system has been honed by others and I just borrow from their experiences. Why reinvent the wheel? I'm looking forward to learning more from you too! I'm still trying to break free from car camping and learning to become more proficient in backpacking, but I'm a little skeptical about doing that adventure with just my old dog! Scared silly would be more accurate!!!
Find some short hikes in to where you can have a nice place to yourself but are not too far away from getting out again, at first anyway. I know how it is with an older dog. Lucky for us there are vast areas of incredible beauty out here. We can hike in it all day long or just a few hours in the morning and evening when its cooler.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
However, campsites along the way may run anywhere from $0 to $10 because you won't catch me in some commercial campground and there is a lot of public land out here where you can pull off and set up shop.
Same here, we pay zero to car camp in some of the best places. We never stop in commercial campgrounds either.

ppine

Forester
Chad,
Maybe you need to drive north, to places like Maine, or Vermont or New Hampshire where there is plenty of room. Or maybe you should consider moving. There are lots of motels in the West for $50.

Judy Ann,
When it is a 100 degrees or there is a blizzard, or we are going light and fast we stay at Motel 6 which takes our 3 dogs. They cost between about $45-60 a night. Sometimes they charge $5 for each pet.

littlefire

I see how this could save money every once in a while, but I can't imagine it saving loads and loads of money. I mean, you still need to get good equipment and makes sure you have the necessities of food and such. I'd rather camp for fun, not necessity.

firedancer

I either want to go camping as my vacation or want to stay somewhere with all the amenities. Those are two different types of vacation in my mind, so I doubt I would ever camp out just to save a few bucks on hotels. When I camp, I want to stay in one spot for the entire vacation, not move every night.
I'm with you - I don't camp to save money - I camp to enjoy nature. I enjoy a five star hotel as much as a remote campsite, but nothing is worse than a cheap motel! I usually balance my road trips with a combination of camping nights and hotel nights.

TroyS

I completely agree. It can really be a cost-effective way for anyone to have a vacation. It's one of the reasons why I managed to finally convince my wife and go camping again with the kids. Of course, that doesn't mean that we're evading hotels like the plague. Once in a while, it's also nice to just stay in a place where you feel a lot more pampered.

ejdixon

I pretty much agree with everyone else here. Camping is a lifestyle for me. It's a way for me to relax and unwind and just to think.

ppine

Forester
Some of the great times are traveling after a long day I just pull off in the woods somewhere. It is great to have a dog along or maybe a couple of mules for company. A simple cold dinner and sleeping in the back of the truck never get old unless the weather is terrible.

edit- I am suprised to find so many outdoor types using words like "pampered" and "luxurious." I have been to some fancy places a few times but always feel like the guests have attitude and the service people tend to be surly.

I don't get cruises, although on the Norwegian ones all the service people were my friends. But the guests were stand-offish. I prefer camping any day.

Last edited:

carmen

I would rather camp than deal with a hotel any day. I have yet to stay in any place that I did not have a complaint about and I have stayed in some amazing places not counting expensive ones. It seems customer service went down hill a long time ago and I would much rather rely on myself than others at this point.

ponderosa

I enjoy a nice hotel, but I'd definitely rather camp than stay in a cheap hotel. And the only thing worse than a cheap hotel is a KOA-style commercial campground. My road trips usually consist of several nights of primitive or FS camping, with a few nights at a good hotel thrown in. Never an icky cheap hotel or commercial campground if it can possibly be avoided.

twinsmommy

I honestly would rather camp than stay at a hotel. Not only for the prices, but I get to use my own stuff when I am camping. I know that my things have been thoroughly cleaned, because I did it myself. I am a little bit of a germ freak, so even when we do stay in hotels, I always bring my own pillows and blankets. And those comforters on the beds...they go off the bed. I don't even use them.

dashboardc33

As long as you are staying in a rustic campsite, it is a great way to save money. While some of the more expensive campsite can be up to $45 and some cheap motels can be $40, you can save money by going camping in some rustic areas. This is a nice way to save money and have a fun vacation with the entire family.

TroyS

Yeah, it works but some people call it being homeless
Sad, but true, beckya. Personally, I find that comment quite disturbing. While I'm not discounting the fact that there are some people that are now living in campers that have no choice because they lost their home. But there are some people that choose to live in campers simply because they would want to, whether it is to save money or it is just because it is the kind of lifestyle that they want to have.

chuckdee

re

In theory it sounds great but here in Texas and 60+ days of 100 degree heat could take its toll.