Cane Pole Fishing

mamabear

Being a country gal from the south, I've done my share of cane pole fishing. Used to catch some pretty nice bream with a cane pole and a cork. That was back when things were more simple and slower. Can anyone relate?

Cappy

We still break the grand kids in on cane poles. It's a great way to start them on the road to becoming fishermen. Peg and I still cork fish for bream and crappie and catch plenty with this laid back easy goin' fishin' technique. Being from the deep south I'm sure ya know what we called cane poles back in the 50 and early 60's i'd say but it aint racially correct any more.

Judy Ann

Mamabear, those definitely were simpler times. I'm heading to the beach camping for the next 5 days and might just have to drop a line into some quiet backwater just for the fun of it. Dang, I'd better pack a cast iron fry pan and a knife just in case I get lucky!:)

Grandpa

Every spring, brothers and sisters and I would got down to the crick and pick out our favorite willow. (no cane around here) I grew up wandering those cricks catching trout with a willow, a 10 ft length of an old fly line, a hook, a split shot and a worm. I was 16 when I got my first store bought rod and reel.

Hikenhunter

Unlike Grandpa Ihad a store bought rod and reel all my life. My uncle was the first guy to take me fishinf and I still have that old rod with an old Zebco 404 closed face reel. Back when my great grandpop Harvey passed away I got a bunch of his fishing stuff. I was 14 years old. One of the things in his collection was an old cane pole. I don't know where he got it but I put some line on it, a hook ,some splitsots and a bobber and went fishing for sunfish with it. Man, I remember that was a lot of fun. I haven't used that pole in prbably 35 years but it is tucked up between the rafters in my basement and I'm thinking right now that maybe I'll have to get it out and put it to use for old times sake.Thank you ever so much, mamabear for bringing it up. You just reminded me of some happy times and I really am smiling:tinysmile_twink_t2::tinysmile_hmm_t2::tinysmile_hmm_t::tinysmile_kiss_t::tinysmile_kiss_t2::tinysmile_kiss_t3::tinysmile_kiss_t4::tinysmile_shy_t::tinysmile_sleep_t::tinysmile_grin_t::tinysmile_twink_t::tinysmile_tongue_t::tinysmile_fever_t::tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_twink_t2::tinysmile_hmm_t::tinysmile_kiss_t2::tinysmile_kiss_t4::bump2::bump2:

ghostrider

This must be a southern thing because it's nothing I've ever heard of up here in Mainiac country. What the heck is the cork for? A homemade bobber? It ain't the bait, is it?

Cappy

Back in the stone age when I was a kid 'bobbers'were made of cork. So we still call em corks even th0ough now they are either hollow plastic balls or styrophome torpedo shapes etc

West Texan

Goodtimes.... remember cane poles, corks, where the hole in the fence was to get to the water.... late night fishin, gettin home at 2 am in January and standin in front of the space heater tryin to warm up before cleanin the fish.

LunaticFringeInc

Being a country gal from the south, I've done my share of cane pole fishing. Used to catch some pretty nice bream with a cane pole and a cork. That was back when things were more simple and slower. Can anyone relate?
I aint that old yet, but Im catching up with ya fast I guess. But yeah I remember those days fondly and I still appreciate that slow simpler pace of living even today.