Catering or doing your own grilling?

SpencerT

What do you prefer at a large picnic, having it catered or doing the grilling at the park? We recently had our company picnic and they catered it this year. The food was plain and I wasn't really a fan. Last year they cooked it at the park and the food was great. I hope they do that again next year.

campclose

I would go with a caterer too ~ a company picnic would mean a lot of cooking and grilling. Who wants to spend all that time at the grill? I'm sure people would rather be visiting.

Grandpa

Grandma is usually one of the planners for her company summer party, hence, I have cooked a few thousand hamburgers for them and many batches of dutch oven potatoes. Their Christmas party is always catered.

SpencerT

I would go with a caterer too ~ a company picnic would mean a lot of cooking and grilling. Who wants to spend all that time at the grill? I'm sure people would rather be visiting.
But it's not like we have 100's of people that work at my site. I guess going with another company that caters would be better. I wanted ribs, but all they did was chicken this year. Pizza hut? :p That's funny, I would have actually chosen it over what we had.

Judy Ann

I'm ALWAYS appreciative of free food provided by my employer. Some years the food is better than others, however everyone has a great time and the kids enjoy the free tickets to the football game that goes with the meal....go Duke!

Tubby

We used to have the managers and bosses of the company to do the grilling. They would grill up brats, hot dogs, hamburgers, BBQ and had the cafeteria to provide potato salad, cole slaw, salads, and desserts. They were great. Especially the brats in beer.

thymas

I think it also depends on the size of the company. The amount of effort to start your own BBQ will be only a little more difficult the larger the group gets. There are few restaurants/catering companies that are cost-effective enough (and taste as good) to make catering worth it. It also depends on your budget.

grand

We always have a committee composed of the employees to prepare the food for company parties. It is cheaper and the food is better and more plentiful.