Different

April

I have never been to a salt water body of water to fish. So my question is how different is it to fish in saltwater. Do you have to clean a different way to be able to eat your catch? Someday I will, but would like to know a little more.

BTBoop

It really depends on what you catch. You have really missed out on something fun and amazing by not going. The different variety of fish you can catch will amaze you.

BCBabe

Fishing is fishing, and having spent years on the Pacific, I can tell you that most of the stuff you'd catch is the same as a trout when it comes to cleaning (ok, scaling a salmon is a dirty job: not everyone does it though).

You can catch some really weird things, too, and I've done that: crab, urchin, octopi...

Bud

If you are talking about saltwater fishing in the tropics, there is a huge variety of fishes you can catch. I hired a guide once outside of Sarasota, FL and casted large flies in toward the shore. Deep sea fishing would be entirely different.

BCBabe

Deep sea fishing requires specific equipment, like down-riggers and out-riggers, rod-holders, and potentially SEAT BELTS. It really does depend on what you're wanting to catch. I've always "mooched" in salt water, and well, crab, clams, and mussels all quake in fear if I'm around.

Having said that, I know for a fact that up near Campbell River, BC (great salmon fishing up that way), a fisherman landed a 65 lb chinook.... on a fly rod with 20 lb test. Now THAT would've been something to see !

Judy Ann

Might suggest a guide when arriving at your destination. In addition to showing you how to fish, what to fish for, what equipment you will need, you will quickly realize that there is much to consider as well as a considerable investment in equipment. Chasing game fish is fun, exciting and for some...cost prohibitive. DNR laws vary from state to state so read up before attempting. Don't forget a license which can be obtained online before you arrive. Consider how you will transport fish home. Fishing is not much different from hunting...catch and release kills a lot of fish...know what you are doing, learn from the best, fish responsibly!!! Cleaning fish is easy, hooking and landing them can be tricky. I'm glad to see other females on this site!