Do you need a license for a jet-ski?

back2nature

I know most areas require a license for motorized boats but I'm not sure if they do for a jet-ski? We are thinking of picking up a couple because a friend of ours wants to sell theirs. Should I call the town hall to ask?

wvbreamfisherman

I have no idea, but to a paddler those things can be the invention of Satan! I've had a$$holes buzz around intentionally trying to swamp me with their wake! I've been working on a counterattack, though- a small homing torpedo.....

Pathfinder1

wvbreamfisherman;

I have no idea, but to a paddler those things can be the invention of Satan! I've had a$$holes buzz around intentionally trying to swamp me with their wake! I've been working on a counterattack, though- a small homing torpedo...

Hi...

I've no idea re: licensing either...but I sure know what you mean about those "problem" drivers.

They make maniacs look like Nuns...!! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

I used to live lakeside...and I could actually hear them crash on occassion...!! A super crowded lake...mostly NYC drivers.

Around here, a quick (if you can ever get through) call to the DMV should provide you with that info.

PS...

Good luck with that torpedo...!!

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have no idea, but to a paddler those things can be the invention of Satan! I've had a$$holes buzz around intentionally trying to swamp me with their wake! I've been working on a counterattack, though- a small homing torpedo.....
Great idea! And all this time I just carried a brick.

LoveTheWater

I don't think that you do but you will need to check in your state, they may differ. I personally think they are a menace to the Gulf where we fish a lot. Some people are just plain careless on those things!

littlefire

I imagine each state, maybe even each county, has its own set of rules. When we were in Utah, we didn't have a license for jet skis. That doesn't mean we didn't technically need one, though. I've never looked into it.

back2nature

Well, goodness, I would never do something like that. That's just plain rude and dangerous. I've seen the same thing with punks with speedboats. In fact, I've come very close to capsizing in canoes because of this.

Joe S.

I don't think a license is required for a jet ski, although I wish that it was. I would like to see some of the stuntsters get grounded for some of the stuff they do.

Cappy

This is a very sore subject with me. Please I'm beggin yall dont get in any boat with out a few lessons or a safety class. The best way to learn is from a seasoned ole family member but it ya aint got one of those, there are plenty water safety classes to be found. Pleeeease take one.