Do you take wood with you?

back2nature

We always carry a few logs in the back of the truck for campfires. The wood they charge you for is usually ridiculously priced, for one thing. Plus, this way I know what I have is dry and ready to burn. Depending on where we are, there's usually plenty of deadfall to add.

Judy Ann

North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia laws prohibit bringing in wood from outside the immediate area. I have brought in a duraflame log or charcoal briquettes just in case of emergency in wet conditions. I'm still trying to get that magnesium firestriker to work.

Mudslide

I think its frowned upon now, but I wont say I've never done it. I think they either recommend burning all of it while camping, or suggest you dont bring any in our state parks here in Ga.

Joe S.

We will only take some firewood with us if we are going to someplace we have not been to before. If we know we can get wood where we will be staying, then we don't take any.

Hazel

OK, I buy wood where I camp or use the fallen because I don't wanna spread the bugs but, I really had no idea where this thread was going when I first got into it. WHEW. LOL.

Barney

We usually won't bring anything unless we know for a fact there won't be a lot of materials for a fire and that's mainly during winter and heavy snow.

ppine

Forester
In Nevada firewood can be scarce at times, although sagebrush makes for a hot fire. I am in the habit of bringing some good hardwood from home that I use to heat the house. This is especially true in colder weather like hunting trips. I usually augment the wood supply from home with materials on site. Buying wood at a campground is not usually an option.

When I was younger, I used to stop on the road to a campsite and find a small whole tree which I would drag to the truck and tie or chain to my bumper. Then I would drag it to my campsite even in National Parks. It is kind of frowned upon today.

Spreading bugs is of little concern in this part of the country.

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

Since I backpack I don't carry wood use what is on the ground already if I have a fire. Also here in Indiana carrying wood in is not a good idea. We are having the problem with Emerald Ash Bore as well.

littlefire

I don't take wood with me. We either purchase locally where we are going, or we find wood to use at the campsite. It seems convenient to take your own, but Mother Nature has a way of backfiring convenience.

hikeorbike

No, I have never taken any wood with me simply because it weighs down the car and I've never had much of a problem finding free wood! I suppose I would take some if I knew in advance that good wood was hard to come by wherever I was going.

JeepThrills

I've never brought wood with me, but I have a friend that likes to bring a few chunks of duraflame to help get the fire going. He also brings a couple of old sections of newspaper. It the world ever starts to end --- I am heading to his place.

TroyS

We always carry a few logs in the back of the truck for campfires. The wood they charge you for is usually ridiculously priced, for one thing. Plus, this way I know what I have is dry and ready to burn. Depending on where we are, there's usually plenty of deadfall to add.
I have to agree with that. First time that we went out camping after a long time, I had to spend a whole lot for a small bundle of wood. We usually get the firewood once we're near the campground we'll be staying at. That way, it's still cheap but also minimizes any bugs from creeping and crawling inside our Motorhome.