Do you wear a helmet?

RatherBRiding

I always wear a helmet when I ride my bike, but never when I ride my ATV. A hat for the cold, but no helmet.

Bobby

I always make my kids wear their helmets, but I don't wear one either. But then, I also carry passengers, which I'm not supposed to do either.

FireBuilder

It's the law around here that all riders must wear helmets. But, now that I think about it, who's going to come into my woods to check?

oldsarge

Out in the mountains of Alaska with the ATV's I don't wear one at all. It's not about the speed but just getting from point A to B. I know accidents do happen, but they happen in the shower too...and I don't wear a helmet there either.

Last edited:

SpencerT

When I was younger I use to go up to a cottage with my friend and his family where they had a couple mini ATV's. We weren't allowed to ride without helmets so yes we used them, but they didn't help me when I did stupid stuff. lol. I bashed my knee into a tree on the four wheeler and also ran my leg over because I was so use to using the dirt bike and putting my leg down when I turned that I accidently did it on the ATV and my foot got caught. I'm just glad it wasn't a full size vehicle. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

twilight

I always wear a helmet because I imagine the conversation that takes place after my head is smashed. I do the same thing when I ride a bicycle. Oh, this was the one day, she didn't wear a helmet. How tragic!

dinosaur

troublemaker
There's no helmet law for ATV's where I live but I've always figured that if you don't wear one, all you accomplish is the dubious honor of being a potential statistic.

oldmangunner

I wish it was the law around here but it isn't. The reason I wish it was the law is because people around here like to mix hot weather, drinking and their ATVs, and that is a horrible combination.

Bojib

I do wear a helmet. Often times I'm the only one in the group. No one thinks it to be uncool though, or ever says a word to me about it. So, I'm glad that everyone can usually be adult about it.

I used to never wear a helmet. I've flipped an ATV twice though, luckily though I didn't suffer a head injure either time, but came very close. After that, I had a change of heart in regards to helmet wearing, and have ever since. That, plus I've had a couple of friends have severe head trauma, and acquaintances who have died from head injuries. I don't know for sure if the helmets would have helped, but I doubt that would have hurt any more.

I have both an open face and full face helmet. I've found that I prefer the full face most of the time. I feel safer with it, and the way it's made, it actually seems to channel more air in around my face so it isn't really that hot either. In the winter I can close off the head air vents, and put paper towels around the face vents, and it actually helps fight the cold.

The problem with full face helmets, is sometimes people aren't too receptive to them out on the trails. I've noticed they get nervous about not being able to see the face of the person they are passing. That's why I also purchased the open face helmet. It keeps people from being suspicious.

I've noticed too that other people will wear them when they see someone else put them on. So, that's a good thing. Kind of like leading by example.

campclose

Of course I wear a helmet... how could I make my kids wear one if I won't. I don't wear one when we go biking though - different rules for that. I think people are crazy that don't wear helmets. ATVs are fast!

EddieK47

Old Yankee
WEAR YOUR HELMET!!!! If you don't and you need it you won't have time to go back and get it!You may be dead!!!!!!!!!!!

georgia_outdoors

I don't own an ATV personally, so I don't have many opportunities to ride. The few times I've been on an ATV though, I didn't wear a helmet. And I didn't ride alone, which is another no-no. (I rode behind the person who owned the ATV.) Looking back, I realize I should have worn a helmet because of how dangerous they can be and what could have happened if we'd have flipped or something. If I ever have another opportunity to ride, I'll definitely don a helmet!

DMan

I always wear a helmet and so do my sons and my wife. It's the law but it's also my law. I think it's just dumb to take a chance when there's enough that can happen when you're riding a 4 wheeler even with a helmet on.

hikingprincess

It is the law where I live so I do wear it. I have actually known someone who died because of his helmet so I am not so sure they are any safer.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Everyone gambles with their life. You're gambling by getting out of bed in the morning. The air you breathe, the foods you eat, the choices of routes to take in the woods or just going to work or school are all gambles. Modes of transport and timing are also gambles. Wearing a helmet, or not, is a simple question of odds. What are the odds?

Bojib

Whatever the odds, they chances of living are better when you use some common sense and keep safety in mind. Whether it be protecting that ol' noggin with a helmet, or wearing a seat belt when you go to get groceries. I like to increase the odds in my favor whenever I can.