Fishing In The Dark

Reed

Has anyone ever actually tried this? The reason I ask is because where I live, which is out in the country, the full moon can get so bright sometimes, that seeing what you're doing isn't really an issue.

Hikenhunter

We use propane lanterns on shore but try to get the light to shine indirectly over the water. I have fished by the light of the moon, on occasion but I prefer a bright light on shore when I have to bait up or release a fish.

Grandpa

Interesting question, especially since there is a IF&G open line question and answer period tomorrow. Seems like in the back of my mind, fishing at night is illegal here. A good question to raise with them tomorrow.

Barney

A lot of my friends do this but I'm more of a camping style person. But I sometimes like to join them for conversation while they are fishing.

Hikenhunter

Interesting question, especially since there is a IF&G open line question and answer period tomorrow. Seems like in the back of my mind, fishing at night is illegal here. A good question to raise with them tomorrow.
If fishing at night is illegal you guys are missing out on some of the gratest fishing time. We go for catfish at night as they are more active after dark.

ppine

Forester
Fishing is legal at night for things like catfish in Idaho. Lots of people fish at night for other warm water species. You can install down lights on the boat or just use a lantern.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Yes, have done it several times at a local lake. We always had a Coleman Lantern hanging in a tree for some light, and also had individual flashlights.

Our luck wasn't any better than daytime fishing there, but it was fun, and was a little different way to go about it, and relaxing.

briansnat

Platnium Member
When I go fishing after work I often fish long after sunset. Sometimes past midnight if the fishing is really good or it's a particularly nice evening.

After sundown I use a headlamp in case I have to unhook a fish, untangle a line or tie on a new lure, but other than that no light usually needed. Even on the darkest nights I can judge where the shore is and adjust my cast distance accordingly. Sure I'll put my lure in a tree a bit more frequently than I do during the daylight. The headlamp also comes in handy for freeing it.

Around here some of the best fishing in the late spring and summer is about a half hour before sunset to about an hour and a half after. Yesterday I got on the water at 7:00 pm and landed 6 of the 7 fish I caught after sunset. I called it quits at 10 after landing 6 bass up to 4 lbs and a 20 inch pickerel.

Anybody who doesn't fish after dark is missing out on some great fishing.

TakeAHike

I haven't been fishing in the dark since I was a kid. It isn't illegal here. If you are on a boat you just have to have the appropriate lights on. Dark time is the best time to fish after all.

campclose

Heck yeah! Fish bite faster when it is raining or dark. That is what my brother told me when we were little. I went out many times with him. I remember falling asleep on my camp chair.

Cappy

I have prolly fished almost as much at night as in the day time. In brackish water ya can slaughter red fish and speckled trout under lights at the platforms we go to at work. When home we love fishing white perch(crappie) at night under coleman lanterns. Cat fishing at night on the mississippi river is lots of fun too. We go early, gather a pile of drift wood, build a camp ,bring along chairs, bbq, pit ice chest and have a ball. Fishing from lit docks along the coast is great fun too. I am surprised yall aint mentioned a huge advantage to us deep southeners it's lots cooler:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

topwaterking

Hell yeah!

Fishing at night is amazing. Especially on a full moon I have done well on a black jitterbug let it sit still the bass will slap it then eat it on the second strike. fly lures work well too slowly twitching them on topwater works well

Cappy

leopard frog colored jitterbug for me and a big ole hula popper on a fly rod same color patern works great at night for Bass

briansnat

Platnium Member
Fishing at night is amazing. Especially on a full moon I have done well on a black jitterbug let it sit still the bass will slap it then eat it on the second strike. fly lures work well too slowly twitching them on topwater works well

For most of my fishing life I always switched to topwater after dark. Jitterbugs, Hula Poppers, Skitterpops, Zara Spooks, Heddon Torpedoes, floating Rapalas, etc. I did fine with them.

Then two years ago I was in the Bassresource forums and asked what others used at night. The overwhelming answer amounted to "the same things I use during the day". Crankbaits, soft plastics, stickbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, etc. Things I'd never before consider using at night. So I tried it and I'll be darned, I caught fish, a lot of them. Now my favorite after dark bait is the same as my favorite daylight bait. An unweighted Senko either wacky rigged or hooked T rig style. I kill them after dark with the Senko. I don't know how they even see it, but I find the dark colors work best even at night.

Reed

I had no idea so many people did this. I haven't been fishing since I was a kid and I have more time now to get back to it. I'm a night owl anymore so I thought it might be a good fit. Sorry I missed out on the Q and A, but I found a lot of good suggestions here, so thanks.

Zed

Love fishing at night but it's certainly night quiet. Frogs around hear are deafening :)

dinosaur

troublemaker
Night fishing is terrific. I've been doing it since I was in single digits mostly for bass and catfish.

jason

fear no beer
It is nice down here at night for fishing. The weather is nice and cool, plenty of light typically unless it is over cast. The only problem is most places I launch a kayak from are closed and I'm not the biggest fan of fishing off a pier.

charley

I have fished after dark many times and with various types of lights. If on the bank after catfish, I would use a lantern. When I'm wading and pitching lures, I use a headlamp so the light can be focused back toward the bank when turned on. I have fished with no artificial light on moonlight night.