Foods you will never see again

FreeWilly

I saw an article of 25 foods you will never see again that were once produced. These kinds of things bring back memories of things I use to like. They had that Crystal Clear Pepsi on the list. I had forgotten that existed. I loved Butterfinger BB's, but they don't produce them anymore. One that makes me sad is Gatorgum. I was hooked on that stuff as a kid. The flavor was better than any other gum I've ever had.

Lorax

Funny thing....

My wife and I were just talking about foods (around the holidays) that we haven't seen in a while. We started to look for these items to confirm what we had thought.

Anyone remember popcorn balls? Ribbon candy in all those colors?

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
Funny thing....

My wife and I were just talking about foods (around the holidays) that we haven't seen in a while. We started to look for these items to confirm what we had thought.

You can still find the ribbon candy in some specialty stores. I haven't seen a popcorn ball in a long time.

oldsarge

Popcorn ball's are great. My sister finds them at some specialty popcorn shop in Chicago. I juts had one about three months ago. I haven't seen those ribbons of paper with the candy dots on them in years.

Lamebeaver

Popcorn Balls

Ingredients
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 quarts popped popcorn
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
1.Butter the sides of a large saucepan. In the sauce pan combine the sugar, water, salt, corn syrup and vinegar. Cook over medium heat to the hard ball stage 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Stir in the vanilla and slowly pour the hot mixture over the popped popcorn, stirring just to mix well.
2.Butter hands lightly and shape into balls. Mixture will be hot so be careful. Place balls on waxed paper to cool.

oldsarge

Now....how do we make those scrumptious little dots of candy on the paper?

Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to make one the size of a soccer ball!

skybear

Funny thing....

Those are two things we could have been assured of getting at my grandmother's house. I'd forgotten about the ribbon candy! I can't eat either one of these things but I remember them fondly.

Michelle

. One that makes me sad is Gatorgum. I was hooked on that stuff as a kid. The flavor was better than any other gum I've ever had.
I loved Gatorgum, that was the best flavor-then and now. I've noticed that in some dollar stores you can find candy that really isn't stocked anywhere else. Boston baked beans are my favorite.

FreeWilly

Funny thing....

I've actually never seen popcorn balls sold in a store. I only knew they existed because it was a recipe that my grandmother cooked up for every Christmas. I wasn't aware that other people knew of them.

I agree about the Gatorgum, Michelle. What a shame they stopped producing it.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Tato-skins. Remember the potato skin chips? Didn't sell well, because the green skins evidently are bad for you.

The candy I like that's hard to find used to be a hard sugar candy, about 1/2" diameter. It was evidently formed in sticks and broken up, and was anywhere between 1/4" and 1" long. If you looked at it end-wise, there were little shapes and colors inside... Oranges, limes, lemon, etc. The outer shell was generally colored too, red, green, orange, etc.
We used to get it in big tins, but I haven't seen it in years.

My other favorite was Farley's conversation hearts, a valentine specialty. They used to make some about the size of a quarter, all flat and smooth with raised printed letters. They tasted a lot better than the penny-sized rough ones. Havent seen the big ones in a while.

FreeWilly

I remember the chips and the hearts. I never liked the chips, but the hearts were really good. I'd shove a bunch in my mouth. Two things I miss also are those long red liquorice ropes. I use to get them at my basketball games after at the concession stand. Also those Jolly Rancher sticks. Now they only sell the tiny ones.

beemerphill

A couple of posters have mentioned the old-fashioned candy that is like a piece of bolt cut off at an angle with a picture on the inside They come many different colors and flavors. This is called cut-candy. Very few places make it any more. The best is made by a place in Dexter, KS, called Henry's. They have many varieties of the old-fashioned candy, and it is all made on site. There is a large window between the retail store and the kitchen. You can stand there and watch the candy being made.
They also have ribbon candy, rock candy, and many of the old favorites.
Henrys Candy Co, Dexter KS 67038 -- MerchantCircle.com
Give them a call if you are looking for the old-fashioned candy. I have no connection of any kind with these people. I just stop there a couple times a year to stock up on my own favorite candies. It is one of my favorite places.
A word of caution- they only make cut candy in the fall. When this years supply is gone, it is gone, and you will have to wait until next fall.

:tinysmile_grin_t::tinysmile_grin_t:

Ready

I remember candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigars. I loved those as a kid. I remember there were some of the candy cigarettes that you could blow into and powder came out making it look like smoke. They were 10 cents a pack and tasted like sweet chalk.

I remain to this day a non-smoker though so I guess I didn't graduate to real cigarettes as so many fear will happen from eating this evil candy.

oldsarge

I remember candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigars. I loved those as a kid. I remember there were some of the candy cigarettes that you could blow into and powder came out making it look like smoke. They were 10 cents a pack and tasted like sweet chalk.

I remain to this day a non-smoker though so I guess I didn't graduate to real cigarettes as so many fear will happen from eating this evil candy.
Something went wrong because I'm hooked on cigars. How about those packages of gum shredded to look like chewing tobacco, I think it was called "Big League Chew". I never used it but some how got started on chewing tobacco while in the military. Don't do it now though. Sure wish I could find those candies and gums to replace the real thing......nawwww, maybe not, kinda like my cigars!

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Something went wrong because I'm hooked on cigars. How about those packages of gum shredded to look like chewing tobacco, I think it was called "Big League Chew". I never used it but some how got started on chewing tobacco while in the military. Don't do it now though. Sure wish I could find those candies and gums to replace the real thing......nawwww, maybe not, kinda like my cigars!
Big league Chew kicked ass! I used to love getting that as a kid going to high school football games. My father got mad as hell at me once. He gave me money for peanuts and coke and I came back with that gum instead.

he sent me back for peanuts.

Miley

I saw that list, too! I was sad about the Orbitz drink. I was always amazed by how the little balls were suspended in the drink. We have popcorn balls here, but they are only in stores during Halloween.

firedancer

I remember Gatorgum....Fruit Stripe was another favorite, although I think you can still buy that.

Popcorn balls - before pretzel shops became the "new thing" at the mall, our malls had KarmelKorn - a popcorn store with all kinds of popcorn flavors....and popcorn balls in every color!