Grand Canyon

canyontony

Has anyone hiked the Clear Creek Trail on the North side of the inner canyon? My brother and I are hiking it in May and could use some advice.

canyontony

17 days and we begin our 50+ mile hike in the Grand Canyon to Clear Creek and beyond. Should prove exciting to those of us 50+ year olds and our teenage childrend and grand children.

T

tentrus

How exciting that sounds! You have teenage children and grandkids too? Wow! I bet you all will have a blast. Yes I would love to see pics too. I have never been to the Grand Canyon.

canyontony

Clear Creek is absolutely amazing. The trail was pretty hot and rough, but well worth the nine miles. Not for the amature or unfit. Pics coming......... Next year... Thunder River.

Refrigerator

ah yes the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. Twilight peak is in the West Needle Mountains, a sub-range of the San Juans. The standard approach is via a trail from Molas Pass to the north. The trail leads to Crater Lake from where the summit is accessible.

Adjacent to Twilight Peak are North Twilight Peak (13,075 feet) and South Twilight Peak (12,932 feet).

you will definitely have fun.

Driving north from Durango towards Purgatory Ski Area, your view is dominated by the West Needle Mountains. This small range within the San Juans is made up of only five peaks: Twilight Peak, North Twilight Peak, South Twilight Peak, West Needle Mountain and Snowdon Peak. These low 13er's (highest peak is Twilight @ 13,158 feet) are seldom climbed despite their attractive appearance. Perhaps due the numerous higher peaks in the area or lack of an established climbers route. Don't overlook the West Needles, what they lack in elevation, they make up for in character

There are two ways to approach Twilight Peak, only one could I recommend to anyone I liked. I will describe this approach first.

1.) This approach starts at Andrews Lake. Located a few miles south of Molas Pass or about 12 miles south of Silverton, Colorado. From Andrews Lake, follow the very nice trail south for about 5 miles to Crater Lake. This is the start of the climb. Crater Lake has some nice places to camp, if you want to turn the trip into a backpack.

2.) This more strenuous approach starts at the Old Lime Creek Rd Campground. A few miles north of Purgatory Ski Area there is a sharp right turn, just after this turn is a sign for Old Lime Creek Road. Take this right turn and follow the bumpy dirt road a few miles down to a campground right on Lime Creek. This is the start of the second approach. From this camp there is no trail and the route ascends over 5,000 vertical feet in only a couple of miles.

DThewanderer

Keep the updates, posts and pictures coming. I have always wanted to hike the Grand Canyon but I have never gotten the opportunity. That is alright though, maybe I can live vicariously through you!

canyontony

age doesnt matter

I'm 50 and my brother is 58. Last year we took a guy who was 69 and every year we see people well in to thier 70"s and 80's. Age is a mental state of mind.

MtMakiling

Wow, sounds like you were up to a really jolly and exciting hike. I have never been to Colorado and hope to see it in the near future. I would also love to hike there.