Hate the current weather here in Indiana

IndianaHiker

Well stopped raining and now the temps are in the 90's. Would rather have the rain than the heat and humidity. Fortunately it is to early in the season for the 90's to stay but I know the days are coming shortly.

I have had a great late winter and spring for my outings and I am thinking about hanging my pack up for the summer here before long. Don't mind the hiking in the heat but hate trying to sleep in it at night. Anyone else here the same way? Its funny would rather backpack when it 10 degrees rather than in the 90's and humid.

Or instead of stopping for the summer maybe just need to head west to higher elevation where it will still be comfortable at night.

Grandpa

Go west young man, go west. The good stuff doesn't start here until mid-July and this year may be later. I had a nice hike down in the Cedar Mesa area of S Utah last week but had to come out early when a Bro-in-Law cashed in. Hot nights are never a problem here.

IndianaHiker

I do miss Denver. May hit 100 during the day but normally would get down to a comfortable temp during the evenings. 12 in the morning here and still 84 Degrees with 78% humidity. We may be in for a long hot summer here.

Judy Ann

Why not just modify your trips a little instead of giving up something that you are passionate about? Hike under a canopy of trees instead of out in the open. Destinations to rivers, lakes, or mountain streams so you don't have to pack too much water and for cooling off in. Hammock camp and tie a string from the middle edge to a nearby tree and rock yourself to sleep or read a good book by a babbling brook!

Telna

That weather sounds yucky! Here in California we are having pretty cool weather for this time of year. It's just windy. I hope you are still able to keep up your outdoor activities with the weather being so icky.

IndianaHiker

Why not just modify your trips a little instead of giving up something that you are passionate about? Hike under a canopy of trees instead of out in the open. Destinations to rivers, lakes, or mountain streams so you don't have to pack too much water and for cooling off in. Hammock camp and tie a string from the middle edge to a nearby tree and rock yourself to sleep or read a good book by a babbling brook!
The problem here in is that there is no high ground. The highest point is Hoosier Hill at a lung burning hypoxia inducing 1,257 feet above see level. Even under tree canopy which is normally where I stay the temps are not much cooler. I will still get out some but longer trips are about down for the season. My favorites temps to go out in are below 50. Like a bit of chill in the air.

I have never used a hammock but been thinking about one. I do get good ventilation with my shelter as in the summer I don't use a tent or tarp just throw the sleeping pad on the ground. More than anything just bitching as I HATE hot weather. Would prefer to be out in below freezing weather than even mid 80s.

Judy Ann

I hate sleeping in hot weather too. Was reduced to sleeping with a wet washcloth over my face last summer like a few of my overheated patients in the hospital. Even purchased a fan just to keep the air moving.

This summer I plan to be near water for swimming and cooling off. Still need a tent to keep the creepy crawlers and reptiles away. Will try out the ice cream recipe plus frozen fruit posted on another thread for diversion and relief from the overwhelming heaviness of heat and humidity that permeates the South in the summer months. I will continue to abuse my battered soul by fighting the elements and continuing to have fun in spite of the weather and temps reaching 100 degrees. Aren't we all slightly whacked?!!!