Hiking and Meteorites

Mary Beth

Does anyone look for meteorites, while you are hiking? I always keep an eye out for interesting rocks, but I have yet to find a meteorite.

Johnny

Exactly how would you know what is a meteorite? When it comes to rocks, I do have a small collection from the places I have been. I only pick up interesting pieces.

Little Kitty

I think you can just use a magnet, to tell if the rock is a meteorite. I pick up cool rocks, but all I have are fossil rocks and regular rocks. Meteorites are worth money, aren't they? I wish I could find a bunch of them!

Pathfinder1

Hi...

According to what I've seen on TV, meteorites have quite a high sale value.

I've never found any, but I have found geodes.

Hiking is just walking where it's OK to pee. Sometimes old people hike by accident.

(plagerized from others)

calanta

I used to collect rocks as a kid, yes its almost the only thing we had back in that day. I would love to do this and I keep an eye out but I have yet to find anything interesting enough to bring back home for our rock garden.

FreeWilly

Wouldn't a meteorite be buried in the ground though? Falling that high, it seems that it would be under the soil and covered with time. I prefer to look for large astroids shooting down at my area. That way, hopefully I'll be the first to claim it. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Rosie

I wouldn't know a meteroite from a rock if it fell from the sky and hit me on the head. I don't know about looking for them anyway. What about mutant space bacteria?

Bella Rae

There have been cases, where a meteorite struck a person in the head. I believe they were even inside their house. I can only imagine the surprise and shock, as they wonder what the heck hit them. I saw a show, and the meteorite hunters were looking at rocks on the ground. They had these magnets on a pole, that they scanned the area with.

Newanderthal

There's a guy named Dan Fronefield (sp?) who makes knives out of ferrous meteorites. They're not cheap.

oldsarge

Did a search and found them. Wow! I'd love to have something like that. What an awesome piece of work!!!