How to Prepare for Rain

Ms. Nibbles

When you first set up your tent, use a small shovel and make a 5 inch deep trench around your tent under the tarp that goes over the top. At the lowest corner make a ditch that will drain the water away from the tent. By doing this, the bottom of your tent will not get wet and your things will stay dryer.

lbean

I never thought about doing that. It is rather like building a little moat around your tent. Only you probably wouldn't want to put a dragon in the moat around your tent.

paloma

That is a good idea. It would prevent flooding under the flooring and on the sides of the tent. But it could also pose a hazard for those walking around the tent at night.

Jobiwan

This works great. I use this method at a private campsite that I frequent. But check with the steward of the area your camping at to make sure it's alright to dig these moats. Some public campgrounds frown upon it and with primitive camping it violates the "Leave no Trace" policy. Most trail guide books give guidelines for tent camping for that trail. It's amazing where you can and can not camp on a natural trail.

le Metis

Digging moats goes against Leave no Trace principles ... the better method is choosing ground with good drainage. And, their is nothing wrong with pitching a tarp/rainfly over the tent which allows water to flow away from the tent...

AK Hunter

I camped on a sand bar in the river, after the rain quit I had a trench around my tent without digging, the water coming off my tent washed it away.

Michael

And, their is nothing wrong with pitching a tarp/rainfly over the tent which allows water to flow away from the tent...
The advantage of a tarp is that you can use one that's large enough to protect an area in front of your tent from the rain. That way you're not trapped in a tent whenever it storms a bit; you can sit out front and at least be outside.

AK Hunter

The most important thing you can do to "Prepare for Rain" is before you leave home, set up your tent & spray it down with a waterproofing spray, let dry, then roll up your tent.
When I was younger I went camping with a buddy & he had a new cheap tent that he just got. About 3am in the morning it started raining this tent was no more than a piece of cloth over our heads, the rain was coming right through. We spent half the next day getting everything dry again.

Tired_Sneakers

I know this doesn't sound like a person that likes the outdoors and roughing it, but if I have even an inkling that it is going to rain during my planned trip, I rather not go.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I used a trench once. It was exactly as Ms. Nibbles described. The reason I did it was because of the daily monsoon type rains that were prevalent in the area. It worked quite well and kept my tent floor dry. As far as leaving no trace, it is a simple matter to fill the trench in and rake the area after compacting the dirt. But then, I've always been meticulous about this. I even clean up my fire areas disposing by extrme dispersal. And I've had more than one prerson who's lands I camped tell me they had no idea I had been there. As long as you aren't cutting down trees or moving large boulders it is relatively easy to make it difficult for all but the most experienced tracker to tell you were there.

MendyUSA

Assuming you have a good tent properly seam sealed preferably by factory taping. Please, Please, I'm begging, Please, do not trench. Not only is it totally un-necessary it’s tremendously high impact and if anyone cares in bad form. When selecting a site for your tent consider drainage if you see trenching it’s probably a good sign that this is NOT the place you want to pitch your tent and please fill in the trenching and make it disappear as much as possible. Look carefully at the campsites contour and pitch your tent on the high spot that has the best possible drainage which may not be the best possible view. Then if a tree is above the selected site look for dead limbs that could fall during a wind storm. These are called “widow makers” for a reason. Next if at all possible and it won’t always be due to erosion avoid pitching on tree roots because if a lightning strike were to occur it would follow the tree down and splash out from the roots and your toast. Also if you find yourself in black bear country check the surrounding trees for ripped bark. There always seems to be one tree in a camp site that is easiest to hang your food pack in and once the camp bear gets its free lunch it’ll keep coming back over and over again to the easy tree. You should see some of the trees in my neck of the woods very little bark left at all after many repeated climbs. Lastly if you chose to carry the weight of a ground cloth to prolong floor life fold it in 10” or 12” from the edge of the tents floor. If you let it extend beyond the tent floor you’ve in essence pitched you tent in a bath tub, not good. I use a cheapo space blanket for this I carry it anyway for emergencies. Hope this helps. Mendy

ChadTower

Last time I had a real issue with rain was late last summer. We got the tail end of a hurricane friday night. Since we were driving 50 miles inland to camp I figured we'd be okay. This was a MA state park campground. We got there about 9pm, ahead of the rain, and I busted tail to put up the tent. I put an EZ Up canopy over the tent and it started to rain just as I was staking that down. The whole setup was placed on the most inclined spot of ground on our site. Between the incline of the ground, the EZ Up over the tent, and the tent itself, we stayed mostly dry in a torrential rain that lasted maybe 6 hours. We had a lot of moisture but no real water intrusion.

You know it's raining hard when a gust of wind pops the canopy up and 3 gallons of water splash down on the side of the tent right next to your head. :)

Frederico

A well prepared tent is definitely the best way - that means a tarp underneath the tent, well-sealed seams and a rain fly. Carry extra ropes and pegs just incase the wind is high and that fly needs a bit more stability. I'd give trenches a "no" vote.

Lorax

Digging trenches around a tent? I thought I had stepped back into the 70's there for a second. I haven't heard that term in years.

A decent quality tent with a footprint, learning the art of the wet pitch and some good tarping skills is a better LNT option. I've been in rain to the point of watching the floor ripple without getting a single drop inside. Most tent floors are proofed to a high (100 or better) PSI before leaking through.

Last edited:

Barney

It is smart to put a ground cloth underneath your tent. Ground cloths are cheap and they will extend the life of your tent by saving its bottom from sharp rocks and branches.

Barney

Also with ground cloths - tuck it a little bit under your tent so that it doesn't stick out and collect rain that will run between it and the tent floor. Even in this case, good tent won't leak but it may be uncomfortable because of the rippling floor, unless you like water beds. :)