Hunter drowns

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Just heard about a duck hunter in upper state New York who rode his kayak out in a lake to retrieve a duck...and he fell out of his kayak and drowned...!!

A fellow kayaker hunting with him was unable to assist.

His body was retrieved about three hours later.

Does this scenario sound familiar?

By simply properly wearing a life jacket, this tragedy might not have happened.

Just how would you catagorize these ignorant people. He's dead...but his family...?

This happened just today.

Last edited:

briansnat

Platnium Member
It's foolish to go out on the water, particularly in cold water, without a PFD. I admit I rarely wear one in the summer, especially if I have a partner along, but once that water gets below 70 or so degrees I wear one no matter what.

wvbreamfisherman

I feel sorry for his family for sure, but he was very much tempting fate by not wearing a PFD. He might have died from hypothermia even so, but at least he would have had a chanc.

Otto

Yes, you're right. Don't believe your swimming ability, you need to wear PFD, beacuse any time it may save your life

Grandpa

Late November, probably heavily dressed against the cold, possibly wearing heavy boots, a quick dunking and he is suddenly wearing another 100 lbs of clothing. An expert swimmer wouldn't stand a chance with all that additional weight without a large pfd.

So sorry for his family. What a tragedy for all.

Lorax

Happens all too often here. Two kids last year. My neighbor also lost his grandfather that way.

Greatoutdoors

That's terrible, and right before the holidays too. I feel so sorry for this guys family, and the man who had to witness it. Something so simple could have saved his life. :(

Fluttershy

Stuff like this just breaks your heart, because it's so preventable. There's no way that duck was worth it. Prayers to his family and friends.

Skeeterbait

I feel really bad for the buddy who couldn't save him. Can you imagine just sitting back and watching one of your friends drown, knowing you can't help them?